We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going from Pacific Grove to Big Sur?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Going from Pacific Grove to Big Sur?

We will be in Pacific Grove for a week in July and the past 3 times I have been there I always wanted to spend a day in Big Sur, but never found the time. This time I think it will work with our relaxed schedule, but I need to know how long it takes to get there. We will be traveliing with our 5 month old, and I don't want her in the car too much over the week, since she already has to tolerate the trip to and from Los Angeles. What is the best route to get to Big Sur from PG, and how long does it take/

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
24,564 posts
5,484 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going from Pacific Grove to Big Sur?

Take Highway 1. Its easy to get to Highway 1 from Pacific Grove.

It will take about 90 minutes to get to Pfeiffer State Park area (note: The entire stretch of drive is beautiful ocean, so if for some reason, you don't make it that far, you will still have seen some gorgeous country.

In addition, do see Pt. Lobos - just a couple of miles south of Carmel.

(Note: I would recommend you also looking at the Big Sur chamber of commerce site - they seem today however to be having some issue with their web site, so I won't forward on the link.)

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
24,564 posts
5,484 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going from Pacific Grove to Big Sur?

(Note: If you do the highway 1 stretch from San Simeon to Carmel since I just noted you are also going to Los Angeles), it will take about 3 hours to do the 90 minute stretch. Its a curvy slow road. Its easier to just do the drive from Pacific Grove to Pfeiffer and back instead of the entire road if you are concerned about your 5 month old.) Have a good trip.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going from Pacific Grove to Big Sur?

The easiest route is to take Forest Avenue (which intersects with Lighthouse Ave. in downtown PG) south (away from the water) all the way to Hwy 1.

Forest Avenue is a residential two-lane street until you come to Sunset, where it becomes a 4-lane road. Just keep going straight. Eventually, Forest Ave. turns into Hwy 68, a two-lane road that goes through a forest-like area. ( Before getting to 68, you'll pass lights at Sinex, Sunset, David, and Prescott Aves.)

Stay on that road, and you'll see signs for Hwy 1. From downtown PG to Hwy 1 is about 4.5 to 5 miles.

You want to go SOUTH on 1 (a right turn off of 68). Once you're on Hwy 1, you simply stay on that road until you get to Big Sur. Total driving time from PG is about one hour. It's only 30 miles, but there are areas where the road is winding, so that slows you down.

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Going from Pacific Grove to Big Sur?

The drive from Pacific Grove to the community of Big Sur (in the vicinity of Pfeiffer Big Sur State park) is only about 45 minutes without stops.

Some highlights en route are Soberanes Point (good for a short walk along the trails), Bixby Bridge (great photo op), Hurricane Hill (just south of Bixby Bridge, the highest point on the drive 600 feet above the ocean), and Point Sur.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
606 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going from Pacific Grove to Big Sur?

Here's my Go List for a day trip to Big Sur from Monterey (which is next to PG). Hope you find it useful. Enjoy your trip!!

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i16489-Big_Sur_…

6. Re: Going from Pacific Grove to Big Sur?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 28, 2009