We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Still Need 1 More Restaurant in PG!!

Carol Stream...
Level Contributor
765 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Still Need 1 More Restaurant in PG!!

OK...leaving in less than 1 week for our trip and need to get our last dinner in PG booked. PGdenizen, thanks for your suggestions via earlier post however....my husband would prefer not to drive into Monterey for dinner and the Red House Cafe menu doesn't do anything for us. What about these:

Fifi's

Passionfish

Fishwife

Fandago (some negative reviews lately)

Our first night there we are eating at Melange....got a great deal with restaurant.com and liked their menu. We love love all food types but prefer fish/seafood, lamp chops, steaks....

Thanks! Can't wait for our trip!

Encinitas, CA
Destination Expert
for Encinitas
Level Contributor
564 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Still Need 1 More Restaurant in PG!!

Haven't tried the other 3, but my husband and I really enjoyed Passionfish when we were in PG last December!

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
396 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Still Need 1 More Restaurant in PG!!

One of four had steak at Fanadngo's and thoroughly loved it. The lamb, salmon and paella was mediocre. So if ii is steak you are looking for.......

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Still Need 1 More Restaurant in PG!!

I am not a fan of Passionfish. I find it overpriced and uninspired. Fifi's is good, but not great. Fandango CAN be excellent, but it also can be just OK. The setting is really lovely. Personally, I would choose Taste Cafe and Bistro over any of those you mentioned.

Temecula, California
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Still Need 1 More Restaurant in PG!!

I absolutely LOVE the FISHWIFE. Been there several times. The Seafood salads are great. This is a small place and you have to be prepared to wait for a table but its worth it. Isn't that usual for a good place ; )

Temecula, California
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Still Need 1 More Restaurant in PG!!

I almost forgot...if you want a really nice fancier restaurant go to the OLD BATH HOUSE. Excellent service, view of the ocean and good meals. The wines are pricy...be prepared.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,399 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Still Need 1 More Restaurant in PG!!

Sorry, Orangepoppy, but the Old Bath House is no longer with us! Been closed for quite a while now. It fell to the ADA. Too costly to bring up to code, although we hear rumors once in awhile that someone wants to take it on and re-open it, but not necessarily as the Old Bath House.

Fresno, CA
Destination Expert
for Fresno
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Still Need 1 More Restaurant in PG!!

Taste Bistro is the best of the list. Others have uneven food. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. Always had a good meal at Taste. My parents have been eating at Fifi's lately and have enjoyed their Mussels and french fries (Moules and Frites!) They said their Ile Flotante was to die for.

Driving between PG, Monterey and Carmel is not far, a 15 min drive at best. If you want fish and a view, follow PGdenizen's advice and go to Massaros and Santos. Easy parking and excellent food.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Still Need 1 More Restaurant in PG!!

Thanks, Muffya, for reminding me about Massaro & Santos. You're so right--it's such a short drive and worth the less than 10 minutes it takes from PG to the Coast Guard Pier. It's also nice to find someone who enjoys Taste as much as I do.

Carol Stream...
Level Contributor
765 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Still Need 1 More Restaurant in PG!!

Wow everyone...thanks for all your responses. Decisions, Decisions....LOL. Did not even think of Taste....menu looks awesome. Still debating about Massaro and Santos. Hubby said if that's where I wish to go no problem....just trying to avoid Jazz Fest crowd in Monterey. Plus I'm 100% Italian living near Chicago with GREAT Italian restaurants....would like to try something new. Keep your thoughts coming. Thanks

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Still Need 1 More Restaurant in PG!!

Sunlover, your point about the Italian in Chicago is well taken. Massaro & Santos has other things, but I understand why you want something different. I've been to Max's Grill in PG just once, but enjoyed it very much. It's got standard fare such as steak, but also has a Japanese influence. Interesting menu. Take a look: http://www.maxgrill.com/sample_menu.htm