We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rip Currents

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
296 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Rip Currents

Will be staying at the Embassy Suites this summer. Someone mentioned that the beach area by the ES has severe rip currents. Is this true and is it a dangerous area to swim?

2 replies to this topic
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,410 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rip Currents

Rip tides are a common occurrence along the California coast. Some areas are more prone to them than others, which is why it's prudent to know what to do in the event you encounter one while swimming, surfing, etc. The key is too not panic and to swim parallel to the beach. I can't speak for the situation by the ES, but knowledge is power, so I suggest Googling rip tides/currents for more info and how to prepare in case you get caught in one.

Edited: 8:44 pm, February 10, 2014
Port Hueneme...
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rip Currents

It really depends on the area and the weather. Some areas do have some tough shore breaks thus creating the rip tides. Look for the less slopy beach area. As you know, the beach can change from day to day and we've had some recent rains and wind so it might look different than last month. I also do not believe these beaches are manned by lifeguards so that is sometihng else to take into consideration.

Our family, parents, kids, grandkids, etc. have gone swimming there. Just once I got pulled into a trench and the wave impolitely threw me back on the beach and tried to take me back in. This is by no means a statement that says it is safe. There can be riptides. Some days you can just get your feet wet. Some days may be fine.

You have to test the water. Ask the people at the hotel and they should have information also.

On a good note, because these waters are not as friendly as their Southern (Silver Strand, Oxnard Shores State Beach (right next door) (?)) or northern (Ventura Marina Beach, McGrath State Beach, and Ventura State Beach (?) they are less crowded than the others - especially during the summer. The safer beaches are all within a 5-10 minute drive though if you are worried and have little ones along.

I hope you have a great time!

Edited: 8:01 pm, February 17, 2014
Reply to: Rip Currents
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted