We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea Kayaking tours-any preferred vendors?

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
5 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Sea Kayaking tours-any preferred vendors?

I am contemplating a trip to Oxnard/Ventura for a sea kayaking tour around the Channel Islands in mid-September. Does anyone know of a good company to go with? Either that, or I am considering heading further north to Pismo Beach or Avila Beach as another option. Anyone have any thoughts on which would be a better place to go? Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Rocklin, California
Level Contributor
647 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea Kayaking tours-any preferred vendors?

You'd probably get good responses posting in other forums rather than the Oxnard one - try the Channel Islands or even the Pismo BEach or even just google "sea tours Channel Islands".

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
5 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea Kayaking tours-any preferred vendors?

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that!

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea Kayaking tours-any preferred vendors?

Have you contacted the concessionaire that runs the boat trips, Island Packers?

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
1,875 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Sea Kayaking tours-any preferred vendors?

I own my kayaks, so I've never rented from a tour company. Island Packers is one of the primary boat transports to the island and is a good place to start to get out to the islands and find a kayak tour.

http://www.islandpackers.com/WaterSports.html

My favorite Calif kayaking location is definitely the Channel Islands. All the Channel Islands present world-class adventure kayaking. Anacapa and Santa Cruz are closest and best for CI day trips. Anacapa has a paddle thru arch and strait. Santa Cruz has terrific caves and Potato Harbor to paddle. Snorkeling and diving are excellent at both islands - bring a wetsuit.

Paddling in Shell Beach/Pismo is very nice at the sea stacks just west of Dinosaur Caves Park. Central Coast Kayaks rents at Shell Beach Rd.

Avila Beach is a cute small beachside town, nestled in a beautiful harbor and is worthy of a visit, but I like the kayaking at Channel Island and Shell Beach better.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
1,875 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Sea Kayaking tours-any preferred vendors?

Avila Beach is the location where the humpback whales came close to eating people, this week!

petethomasoutdoors.com/2012/08/humpback-whal…

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
5 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sea Kayaking tours-any preferred vendors?

Thanks for the info! I wish I could have been there to see the whales - hopefully there will still be some around in mid-September! I've seen humpbacks before, as well as blue whales and orcas, but I always enjoy seeing them whenever I get the chance!

Reply to: Sea Kayaking tours-any preferred vendors?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted