We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabo Seafood Grill - Unsanitary!

Which Oxnard hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
SB, CA
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
Cabo Seafood Grill - Unsanitary!

I was impressed with the reviews for the Cabo Seafood Grill and Cantino in Oxnard, but decided to do some research on possible sanitary violations. I accessed the County of Ventura Consumer Food Protection website:

ventura.org/rma/…compliance.htm

One can click on "On-line inspection results" to see restaurants in a specific city or "Posting of all food facility closures" to see all restaurants with violations in Ventura County.

I noted that the restaurant has had numerous violations over the years, including "Food storage-cross contamination/raw meat" (3/17/09), "Plumbing inoperable; Inadequate pest control; Food/utensils on floor; Unsanitary facility and equipment sanitation" (10/29/08); "Waste management-outside refuse" (10/15/08), plus other serious (and disgusting) violations in previous years.

I'm glad I researched this website before going there!

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,922 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cabo Seafood Grill - Unsanitary!

When the violation doesn't appear on the next report - that means it's fixed, so it's not fair to add together all the violations from each report.

Still, the unsanitary facility and equipment sanitation seems to be ongoing.

Waste management-outside refuse violation means their trash was overflowing - outside, in back of the restaurant, but I've read over their violations for the past three years and don't see anything about that. I'd be more concerned about the flying insects - which *is* mentioned.

Still, notice that most of these violations have been fixed (or they have to report them again). More recently, they finally hired a certified food handler.

Most Oxnard restaurants still have older plumbing (this is a problem all over SoCal) where the dishwashing equipment doesn't go through proper pipe length before connecting to the sewer. They were built that way.

California Pizza Kitchen in Ventura had twice as many violations as Cabo (including employees not washing their hands - ewww).

Mimi's, which is considered an upscale chain, in Ventura, had about the same number as Cabo - including some involving creepy crawlies (which Cabo has fixed). Mimi's has fixed their situation as well - but Pizza Kitchen hasn't.

Ventura doesn't have a grading system - like L.A. or N.Y., which would be helpful in sorting out the seriousness of these violations (storing food in a different container than the one it was sold in, without labeling it, is not that big a deal).

So where did you end up eating? I see two restaurants that have cleared inspection in the past two months - but did you find one?

Yolanda's looks pretty good - but still had unsanitary equipment (and the food isn't as good as at Cabo's).

Sal's, another restaurant on Old Highway One, has about as many problems over time as Cabo.

If you're looking for a place to eat on that stretch of One (which I advise people not to drive in the first place), maybe try B.J.'s. There's it's just flying insects and broken machines/improper concentration of hand sanitizing solution.

At least Ventura County takes inspection seriously - I'm guessing L.A. area restaurants are inspected far less frequently...

Notice that Malibu's famous and much-recommended Paradise Cove has the same "unsanitary wall" situation:

lapublichealth.org/eh/…code055

as well as a plethora of other violations (some I would say are minor, but most of which are very much the same as Cabo's).

So while I've stopped eating at Cabo's myself (I have two friends in Oxnard/Pt. Hueneme and thats' been our get-together place, about 2-3 a year), it's been because of a decline in food quality and service. Not sure it's fair to call out one particular TA favorite for health violations when virtually every restaurant in the state gets some dings each and every inspection - and only a handful fix the situation immediately and call for a second inspection, to get a completely clean bill.

Paradise Cove still got an A - because L.A. uses a point system - and the unsanitary walls only cost them 1 point - but overall, their 8 violation points seem to equal Cabo's - so I'm guessing Cabo would an L.A. A, as well.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,718 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cabo Seafood Grill - Unsanitary!

I am a little curious as to why you chose Trip Advisor to report this restaurant.

Did you also report it on the Fodor's and Frommer's travel forums and on Lonely Planet's Thorntree forum?

We are a littlesuspicious when a person uses their first post here as a slam against a business.

3. Re: Cabo Seafood Grill - Unsanitary!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 20, 2010