We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Book On TripAdvisor Bonus Book your hotel on TripAdvisor — then save 20% on things to do for your trip. Use code BOOKTOSAVE.

Easily Accessible, Family-friendly Beaches from Ontario

Which Ontario hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sellersburg, Indiana
2 posts
Easily Accessible, Family-friendly Beaches from Ontario

What are the best beaches to go to that are family-friendly, and easy to get to from Ontario? Not interested in glamorous beaches or clogged expressways. Thanks!!

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
24,271 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Easily Accessible, Family-friendly Beaches from Ontario

You best bet is to use the carpool lanes and head south west to the central Orange County Coast. Use Google Maps for the best route.

The Balboa Pier area of Newport Beach is fairly easy to get to, lots of parking, and lots to do besides the beach and the pier. There is a nice Kids Playground, and a few blocks away, a few amusements, such as a small Ferris Wheel, and even a short Ferry ride for not much money. A good day out.

http://www.visitnewportbeach.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balboa_Pier

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balboa_Island_Ferry

The original Ruby's Diner is on the end of the Pier, and is a very good Family Friendly Restaurant.

Sellersburg, Indiana
2 posts
2. Re: Easily Accessible, Family-friendly Beaches from Ontario

Yes, that is the Beach I had pretty much decided on. We have been there before a few years ago, and really liked it (except it was raining). Thanks for the helpful tips about the carpool lanes. Not sure which route is best since I am not familiar with the roads. Thanks so much! Anyone have an idea which route is best?

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
24,271 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Easily Accessible, Family-friendly Beaches from Ontario

Use Google Maps, and then click "Get Directions"

Enter your location in Ontario, CA as the starting point, and "Balboa Pier, Newport Beach, CA" as the destination. It will show you the best route, and step by step directions.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
16,939 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Easily Accessible, Family-friendly Beaches from Ontario

I agree with Balboa Pier Beach. Being from the Inland Empire myself (which Ontaro is part of), I have visited that beach many times over many years. (Just not recently.) Another beach city that should be easy to visit is Laguna Beach, since from the 91 freeway you can take a toll road through the hills, end up in Laguna Canyon and follow the rode down to the city and beaches. Use Google Maps for directions, but you may also wish to search for information on the listed toll road unless Google includes the info on the cost of the toll. The toll road is a nice drive because the traffic is less and the scenery is good. The canyon is country rather than city. Laguna Beach may seem glamous to some but essentially it is a beautuful small seaside town. I would go there if you want someplace different from Balboa Pier Beach this tme. Once in town, head for Heisler Park Beach. Alternatively, Main Beach is easier to go to and flat.

Edited: 9:48 pm, February 15, 2012
5. Re: Easily Accessible, Family-friendly Beaches from Ontario

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, June 06, 2013