We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Slopes from the Squaw Creek Resort chair lift- green/blue?

England
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Slopes from the Squaw Creek Resort chair lift- green/blue?

Hi- we are off to Squaw Creek resort in March. I was a little concerned to read that they are all advanced slopes from the the chair lift at the hotel...can anyone tell me anymore about this? if you don't use the chair lift what other options are there?

My boyfriend is extremely experienced however I have only been twice before and am not as experienced or confident. Managed an easy red last time but that was in Europe and I'm no sure how the slope compare to the US.

One last thing we have been looking for a ski map for th earea but can only find ones wih the lifts on, is this how its done in the US? We have only been skiing in Europe before where they have the map of the slope on the maps as well.

Thanks for your help...

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,750 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Slopes from the Squaw Creek Resort chair lift- green/blue?

Here's the lift/trail map

http://www.squaw.com/winter/maps.html

and

www.skitown.com/gfx/trailmaps/ca18tm01f.jpg

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Slopes from the Squaw Creek Resort chair lift- green/blue?

Use the aerial map to see the runs at Squaw:

http://www.squaw.com/winter/aerialmaps.html

There are lots of Blue Trails coming off the lift from Squaw Creek Resort.

Take Champs Elysees to Easy Street to make your way to another lift and across the mountain.

England
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Slopes from the Squaw Creek Resort chair lift- green/blue?

Thanks for that. So would you say the Champs run and Easy street are fairly easy runs?

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Slopes from the Squaw Creek Resort chair lift- green/blue?

Do you only ski on beginner runs or are you able to ski intermediate? A blue square is intermediate.

Squaw Valley isn't exactly a beginner resort. They do have areas for beginners but getting around the mountain you need to be a bit better than beginner.

Red in Europe is Intermediate so you should be able to do blue in the US.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Slopes from the Squaw Creek Resort chair lift- green/blue?

My info is a couple of years old but I had a he** of a time getting down to Squaw Creek. If you've only been skiing twice Squaw isn't the resort I'd recommend. Or if you do get a private instructor. (I had a very bad experience with a group lesson at Squaw.)

I'm a low intermediate but had been skiing 7-8 times and had instruction each time before my experience trying to get down to Squaw Creek.

England
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Slopes from the Squaw Creek Resort chair lift- green/blue?

Hi Suzie

I have been on the dry ski slopes since i was young but only been proper skiing twice, last time was 2 years ago. I progressed to do easy red runs in Europe, but its hard to tell as the colour of the slope in Europe don't always reflect the standard of the run...some reds are easier than blues in some resorts.

I am able to parallel ski but I think it will take me a couple of easy runs to find my ski legs.

Maybe I will book in to have a couple of lessons then they can advise me on which runs are the less advanced of the blue runs.

We haven't been skiing in the states before so i don't know if the slopes vairy in difficulty as much as they do in Europe.

Thanks for your advice.

England
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Slopes from the Squaw Creek Resort chair lift- green/blue?

Hi

This is what I am concerned about. Our entire holiday is booked up so its too late to change but we have a ski pass for other resorts as well so maybe we'll end up driving to those.

I have been skiing since I was young but only been on snow twice, both times I was in the intermediate classes skiing on the slopes, never on the nursary slopes.

Was it skiing back to the hotel you found particulary difficult or was it all difficult?

What a shame I was so excited, not I am a bit worried.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Slopes from the Squaw Creek Resort chair lift- green/blue?

Oh I didn't mean to worry you ... just prepare. We were staying at Squaw Village and BF thought I could ski over to Squaw Creek. Not! I walked down ... yuck. Then caught the shuttle back to the Village.

Get an instructor, that's a big help especially to get the lay of the land and not find yourself in an area that's too difficult.

If you've been skiing since you were a kid I'm sure you'll have no problem. I'm one of those who took it up in middle-age.

Northstar has very good intermediate runs IMO. In many resorts the low intermediate runs are very short. Northstar has some that are nice and long and you can really cruise along.

Have a great time!

England
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Slopes from the Squaw Creek Resort chair lift- green/blue?

Hi RamblinSal

Thanks for this, were you staying at the squaw creek resort?

Have you got any good runs to start off on that are easier out of the blue runs?

Maybe we'll take a trip out to Northstar as long cruise runs are by far my favourite.

Thanks for all you advice

10. Re: Slopes from the Squaw Creek Resort chair lift- green/blue?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, October 19, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Olympic Valley