We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre Wedding Ladies' Spa Trip

Fort Wayne, IN
7 posts
Save Topic
Pre Wedding Ladies' Spa Trip

I want to take my daughters (bride, age 26; maid-of-honor, age 21) for a long week-end getaway about a month or two before the June 6, 2007, wedding.

We want to relax and enjoy a surfing beach (with lessons) as well as massages, wine tasting, maybe horseback riding on the beach, and a few local landmarks like Sea World or a Pier. I could rent a car if necessary but would prefer a location where walking or bikes would suffice.

I'm looking for a luxury Bed & Breakfast (preferable), or hotel immediately on a beach that would appeal to my daughters with no road or bluff to manuever. I want an ocean/surf view with a balcony or door from our room directly onto the beach.

We've never been to California before so any advice about location and timing (re weather) will be appreciated. I am currently looking at the Beach House on Hermosa Beach. Is that good or does anyone have any other suggestions?

I was also looking at the Ancient Aromatics Sea Spa & Guest Suites in Ventura but I realize it is not right on the beach. Does anyone know if it is nice enough to forfeit the beach view and walk a block to the beach?

Thank you!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,507 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre Wedding Ladies' Spa Trip

Hi there first I want to thank you for telling me about The Beach House. I had never heard of it but after researching it sounds like it has everything you want except maybe the horseback riding. You have posted your question in the Oceanside forum which will not get you answers to questions about LA or Ventura County. I just happened to be reading all the posts in California which is how I noticed yours. Weather at that time of year can have foggy mornings. We call it May Gray and then comes June gloom, but it usually clears by noon. Good luck with your planning.By the way-Florida will be warmer. The Pacific is still pretty cold at that time.

Fort Wayne, IN
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre Wedding Ladies' Spa Trip

Thaks for the quick reply, riffsmom! I see you are in SanDiego, which would also be a fine location. I had just surfed into an Oceanside post and didn't realize it was so local. I've added my post to the CA forum as well.

In Indiana we have April showers that bring May flowers; it is a beautiful season! But I have wanted to surf since I was a teenager and I'll be 58 when we make this trip - I'm still planning to give it a try and thought this would be a memory my girls would enjoy. Would extreme southern CA be better at that time or should I consider a better time of year?

I do appreciate your thoughts on this subject!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,507 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre Wedding Ladies' Spa Trip

Health central we are the same age so I understand wanting to fulfill lifelong ambitons. I have been trying to think of a place for you in SanDiego that would fulfill allyour requirements but I haven't come up with one. The only thing I would warn you about that most people do not expect is that the water temperature of the Pacific Ocean is quite cold.Many people here use wet suits when surfing until summer. The warmest weather is actually in September. If you want really warm water then you really might consider Fla. or Hawaiior the Carribean. I will let you know if I come upwith anything else. There is a wondeful surf school here www.surfdivas.com They specialize in women teaching women to surf at La jolla shores beach. But the hotel there althoughit is right onthe ocean does NOT have spa services or easy access without a car. Sooooo

San diego
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre Wedding Ladies' Spa Trip

I live in Carlsbad California. Northern San Diego county actually sounds like the place that you should be looking at. If you stay in Carlsbad, there's a quaint village with little restaurants and shops. You can also take surf lessons. La Costa resort and spa can offer you the spa packages and you can also stay there. Or check out the Hilton Garden in Carlsbad. It's beautiful and right on the beach. There's a pier in the city just north called Oceanside. You can go have a milkshake or a beer at the tip of the pier and feel the pier moving with the water as you dine. As for the wine tasting, Also in north san diego county is Temecula. I think there's 19 great vineyards there now. You could stay in Carlsbad on the beach and take a limo to go wine tasting. A lot of the vineyards have rooms to offer. Check out Southcoast Winery. They have a Resort and Spa and the rooms are beautiful. You could stay there and rent a car for a day or two to go to the beach (Temecula is 30-45minutes inland). Anyways, google some of these places, I think you'll find something that you love. Good Luck!!