We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family & Surfing?

Which Oceanside hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois City...
7 posts
Save Topic
Family & Surfing?

We have never been to California before. We usually go to Florida, but wanted something new this year. We don't know anything about where to stay. We are thinking about renting a condo near the pier. Is this a good family place? My husband and two teen boys like to surf and 10yo likes to boogie board. We are mainly coming for the beach and surfing and maybe taking one trip to San Diego for SeaWorld. Also, where do you rent surf boards for a reasonable rate? I appreciate any info...

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,327 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family & Surfing?

Of all the beaches in San Diego county, Oceanside at the north and Imperial Beach at the far south ,rank pretty low on my list. Since this will be your first trip to California, you may want to consider something else further down the coast.Oceanside caters to the military base, and while it is getting better with the new development,its still a pretty gritty town.

Illinois City...
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Family & Surfing?

We are trying to stay near San Diego since we want to go to SeaWorld. Any Suggestions for family and surfing?

Oceanside...
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Family & Surfing?

Oceanside has the most beautiful beaches, wide and sandy. It is also known for having the some of the best surf and is home to many professional surfers and reknowned surf board shapers. SoCal Surf is a quality surf camp and teaches lessons. They are family friendly. My sons have taken lessons there and my nieces from Missouri. They got up the first day too. They had a great time and go to tell their friends about it. There are many vacation rentals in Oceanside from all price ranges that are right on the beach. There are beautiful hotels as well. Oceanside is central to the main attractions including Sea World, Disneyland, the Zoo and Legoland. It makes a perfect home base. The California Surf Museum is a great place to take the kids. They were recently featured in the Smithsonian Magazine and currently they have the surf board from on display from the movie Soul Surfer, it has the shark bite out of it. Camp Pendleton is just to north and is a natural preserve/habitat and offers museums and military history for those interested. The Oceanside Harbor offers unlimited boating and recreational activities. Enjoy your stay!

Illinois City...
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Family & Surfing?

Thanks for the replies. I guess we will just have to pick a place and hope for the best. Live and learn, right? We are considering Oceanside, Del Mar & Pacific Beach. We are looking at condos through vrbo, homeaway & rentalo. We would like to find oceanfront or as close to possible to the beach....would love any input if anybody knows of something specific. Thanks.

Oceanside...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Family & Surfing?

There are several good companies to work with some are BeachFront Only, Barbara McClain, and Aquamarina Villas. North Coast Village is also popular with families. It is a gated area with beautiful lush gardens/grounds and they have a swimming pool. They vary from high-end units to mid-range/lower end so be specific in what you are looking for, they are managed by different companies and people.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,242 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family & Surfing?

I would look at the La Jolla Shores & Pacific Beach areas first, I think Oceanside is too far north.

For condos in VRBO look at South Mission Beach, I think that is the nicest area since it is the quietest.

7. Re: Family & Surfing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 12, 2012