We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time tent and pop-up campers to Pismo

Which Oceano hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
Level Contributor
221 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
1st time tent and pop-up campers to Pismo

Looking to take 1 pop-up camper and a tent to a campground near or on beach and someone recommended Pismo. How is weather the 1st week in April with kids? We dont mind it being a little chilly, but foggy days???? Any other campground recommendation, kid-friendly, that may be better weather that time.

I have checked out Reserveamerica and it appears that Oceano and North Beach campgrounds are undergoing site changes. 1st come 1st serve only for North Beach prior to May/June and Occeano is assigning sites when we get there.

8 replies to this topic
Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,358 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time tent and pop-up campers to Pismo

Why go all the way to Pismo when there's great camping near the beach in Sonoma County, San Mateo County and also just south of Santa Cruz?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
221 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time tent and pop-up campers to Pismo

Warmer weather and we typically camp those other locations throughout summer. We thought during kids spring break we would go as far south as comfortable for someplace new and warmer. From my understanding this time of year it's more foggy days on Santa Cruz, Sonoma coast etc

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,042 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time tent and pop-up campers to Pismo

It won't necessarily be warmer in Pismo Beach area 1st week of April compared to Nor Cal. Fog is less likely, but you never know. It's more likely to be windy, which will mean less fog, if that's important to you. Our warmest/sunniest beach is Avila just north of Pismo, but you won't find tent camping there.

Northbeach in Pismo is a great campground. The sites are well spaced apart and the beach is just over the sand dunes. You can walk into downtown Pismo Beach from Northbeach and there's a nice wide stretch of rec trail for walking or bike riding.

If you can see a map of Northbeach from the reserveamerica website, I suggest you try to get a space close to one of the restroom/showers. The further back in the park, the closer to the beach you'll be.

Edited: 9:56 pm, March 07, 2013
Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,358 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time tent and pop-up campers to Pismo

I'll leave it Kibblesmom to comment about the weather in Oceana in early April but it's probably not going to be that warm anywhere along the California Coast then. Of course, there can be mini heatwaves. We even had one in February if you recall here in Northern California.

Where do you live NorCalMom? You should know that the real foggy season doesn't start until late May or so when the Central Valley heats up. However, because the ocean water is so cold, it can still be cool and windy anywhere along the coast in the early Spring.

Anyway, if you want to be assured of warm weather in early April, go to the desert. Palm Springs and Death Valley will be most likely very balmy.

Ed. - Sorry. Was writing when Kibblesmom posted.

Edited: 9:59 pm, March 07, 2013
San Francisco
Level Contributor
221 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time tent and pop-up campers to Pismo

We are in east bay (5 years now since moving from east coast so the whole foggy in spring I am still learning). We are 2 families with 6 kids and have 1 pop up and 1 tent so we didn't want to drive too far like Palm springs although on my LIST. We don't care so much about some colder weather as we just want a sandy area for kids to just play outdoors. North beach campground sounds great but 1st come 1st serve this time o year and apparently they are changing to tent only sites according to Ranger recording so leaves only Oceano campground. Thanks!

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,042 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time tent and pop-up campers to Pismo

I find it hard to believe that Northbeach is converting to tent only campsites. Yes, they are converting to site specific reservations, but tent only? I don't think so.

1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time tent and pop-up campers to Pismo

How do i reseave a space, i have a pop up trailer, thats ok right. How much is it to stay over night theRe. This would be my first time

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,042 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time tent and pop-up campers to Pismo

magdalen s.... Use this link to book your campsites: http://www.reserveamerica.com/

Keep in mind that many campgrounds are currently closed due to flooding, road closures, etc.

Reply to: 1st time tent and pop-up campers to Pismo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Oceano