We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

staying in Oakland..

5 posts
Save Topic
staying in Oakland..

I'm coming over to the states from Australia for the 1st time & I'm a big A's fan. going to a game in April and I'm thinking about staying the night in Oakland after the game... however I have had advice to stay in San Fran as Oakland isn't the safest place. how true is this?

Thanks for your help..

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,208 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: staying in Oakland..

Well are you coming all tne way from Australia for an A's game or are you planning to spend more time in the Bay Area . What are your plans then ? Where are you going to stay and what are you going to visit ? That info, more than a three hour game should help you decide on a place to stay

Downtown Oakland which is close to the BART station would be the suggestion if you do want to stay in Oakland . Check the hotels there such as the Marriott and you can stay there. As in any city Oakland or San Francisco (SF) , one has to be street smart

In tne SF forum, there is a top question on the As as an FYI

Also if you do want to stay in SF, that same BART train gets you to SF a few stops after downtown Oakland

Edited: 5:26 am, January 21, 2014
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: staying in Oakland..

I'll be in the Bay Area for 24hrs before going to New Orleans.

Looking to check out SF for the first part if the day before going back to oakland for the game.. I will more than likely stay in oakland but I just thought I'd get an idea on what to expect

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,208 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: staying in Oakland..

Where are you flying to New Orleans from ? You have to methodically plan your day from arrival into airport x, bags, tour, hotel , game, hotel, next morning. Airport. So think through all that. Are you coming in from Australia or will you have been in the US and gotten over jet lag ?

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: staying in Oakland..

Are you using SFO or OAK to arrive and depart the Bay Area?

If you are using the former, then staying in the Union Square or Embarcadero area of SF makes a lot of sense. You can easily use BART to/from SFO and also to/from the A's game.

If you are using the latter, then staying in SF or Oakland would work. You could stay in the same neighborhoods mentioned for SF, or you could stay in the downtown Oakland area. It is easy to get around on BART in all cases. Definitely do not stay at any of the OAK airport hotels; although close to the airport and stadium, the area is unappealing and out of the way to area attractions.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,489 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: staying in Oakland..

Lots of very good restaurants in Oakland and with cheaper prices than you'll find in S.F. Some favorite spots loosely located around Lake Merritt / Jack London Square:

Bocanova - Pan American

Scott's - Seafood (great weekend brunch)

Boot & Shoe Service - Pizza & Pasta

Tamarindo - Mexican small plates

The Star - Chicago-style pizza with thin crust or cornmeal crusts

Bellanico - Italian (full menu & tasting menu)

Stockton, California
Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: staying in Oakland..

The Oakland Marriott downtown is fine, as is the dowtown Courtyard by Marriott. I have stayed at both and prefer the Courtyard...larger beds and larger rooms. They are only one block from each other and easily accessible to BART. If you want to go to San Francisco, it's just a quick BART ride away.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
21,662 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: staying in Oakland..

It's probably easier to stay in SF. You can take BART (subway trains) from SF to the A's game, and back to SF. I'd suggest staying in SF as there are more things to do there. And there's nothing of interest or any hotels near the ball park. You'll have to take the train to get to a hotel in Oakland anyway.

Edited: 2:25 am, February 13, 2014
8. Re: staying in Oakland..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, February 15, 2015