We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Book On TripAdvisor Bonus Book your hotel on TripAdvisor — then save 20% on things to do for your trip. Use code BOOKTOSAVE.

Just about to book hotel ???????

Which Oakland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
256 posts
11 reviews
Just about to book hotel ???????

I am just about to book Best Western Plus Airport Inn & Suites Oakland for 4 nites 9th sept, got a real good price, is this hotel ok? We wont have a car so what is the access to BART, And down town Oakland like, also how much will the BART cost per trip to San Francisco? Also how much will a taxi cost from SFO to this hotel?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
40,579 posts
150 reviews
1. Re: Just about to book hotel ???????

I think folks should figure out what they want to see and do and then decide where to stay. Why are you planning to stay near Oak airport and why so many ??????????

www.bart.gov for fares. Have you read the hotel reviews ???????? Are you there for work near the airport ?

You can use maps.google.com to estimate mileage and about 2.75 a mile to estimate cab costs.

If this is to see SF, then stay in SF to see SF.

san mateo CA
Level Contributor
434 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: Just about to book hotel ???????

As others here will know I am an advocate of Oakland. Unfortunately where your suggested hotel is located in a long and boring walk from the Coliseum BART station and very isolated in any sense of that word.

It may be an OK location if you have a car and the price is good. It is lousy for you without a car. I would very strongly recommend someplace else. If you are working on a tight budget I would suggest either downtown Oakland near the 12th St. BART station or someplace on the Penisula near either Millbrae or San Bruno BART.

In short do not book this place.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
46,453 posts
415 reviews
3. Re: Just about to book hotel ???????

Would not book there.

What is your budget per night?

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,783 posts
78 reviews
4. Re: Just about to book hotel ???????

No, don't stay there. It's not a convenient location to see Oakland, let alone San Francisco, especially without automobile access.

Consider the sights you want to see, and try to find a hotel that is near those sights. You'll most likely want to stay in San Francisco if that is where most of your sightseeing will occur. There are budget hotels in San Francisco, as well as cheap booking sites like Hotwire and Priceline.

If you cannot stay in SF for whatever reason, try a hotel in Emeryville or downtown Oakland rather than a hotel near the airport. It is much easier to get around without a car at those locations.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
256 posts
11 reviews
5. Re: Just about to book hotel ???????

thanx DavDaven This is our 4th trip to SF so we know our way round, we are quite mobile and like to walk most places, previously we have stayed in a Union Sq hotel but for some reason prices have doubled for the same hotel, so thats why we are looking at Oakland near a Bart station as we will mostly touring SF, we will be spending all day everyday out of the hotel, so we just want a clean safe hotel to sleep in.

Chicago
Level Contributor
4,388 posts
36 reviews
6. Re: Just about to book hotel ???????

What about the Oakland Mariott? It's downtown on Broadway & 11th Street and BART is a block away on 12th & Broadway. There are lots of great places to eat (and drink) close to the Marriott. This part of downtown is known as Old Oakland. http://www.yelp.com/biz/old-oakland-oakland

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,874 posts
140 reviews
7. Re: Just about to book hotel ???????

Old oakland and lake merrit are both nice and better location for those without a car than by the airport. Other possibilities include Hampton Inn Alameda (nice bay view with walking trails take the ferry and free shuttles available) and Jack London Sq (ferry).

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,783 posts
78 reviews
8. Re: Just about to book hotel ???????

I'm not sure why prices have increased so much; Oracle World is not until late September or early October. It isn't essential to stay in San Francisco since you've visited before. However, there are very few redeeming qualities about the hotels near OAK. Any number of hotels near a transit stop would be better, especially if you want to be someplace where you can walk around.

Look into either of the Marriott properties in downtown Oakland, the Hotel Shattuck Plaza in downtown Berkeley, any one of the chain hotels in Emeryville, the Hawthorn Suites on the west side of Alameda island, or better yet see if you can find something acceptable on AirBNB. AirBNB has countless listings in SF, Oakland, and other neighborhoods and you might score a good deal in a great neighborhood.

Israel
Level Contributor
355 posts
15 reviews
9. Re: Just about to book hotel ???????

I don't think you will be happy here. My dad just stayed for almost a week in this area and we were quite unhappy that he did.....it's around the corner from a pretty unseemly neighborhood, next to a couple of other boring hotels and across the street from a Burger King. Nothing pleasant to look at, nowhere accessible by foot. Even if all you want is a place to sleep, I could not recommend this area!

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
37 posts
68 reviews
10. Re: Just about to book hotel ???????

If you plan to be in SF the entire time then please shop around in the cities along the Bart line. You can find the bart map on bart.gov. I am pretty sure you will find better hotels and better locations for almost the same price point if you shop around a bit. As others have pointed out, this location is not convenient, safe or fun.