We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Book On TripAdvisor Bonus Book your hotel on TripAdvisor — then save 20% on things to do for your trip. Use code BOOKTOSAVE.

Decent hotel between Berkeley and SF on transit

Which Oakland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Somerville...
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
1 review
Decent hotel between Berkeley and SF on transit

Hi all,

My GF and I will be coming to the Bay in oct for a wedding. The plan is to arrive thursday afternoon at OAK airport, spend thu-fri mostly checking out San Fran (Not opposed to seeing what cultural offerings Oakland has to offer either) then spend time in Berkeley for the wedding (and maybe the football game) Sat and Sun, then fly out of SFO on monday morning. We are not planning to rent a car.

It looks like Oakland is pretty much in the middle in terms of the transit system, can anyone recommend a good area of town to investigate hotels that would be convenient to both SF and Berkeley? Any areas to specifically avoid? (Note, we live in the city in Boston so not exactly afraid of an urban environment, as long as it's relatively safe) Hoping to stay under say $125 a night if possible. Would we be better served staying in SF for two nights then shipping up to Berkeley?

Thanks!

Matt

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
40,814 posts
150 reviews
1. Re: Decent hotel between Berkeley and SF on transit

Well Berkley is next door to Oakland and not halfway. The Bay is halfway between the East Bay and SF. Check the Top Questions on the right side of the SF forum for an article on budget hotels in SF. I would stay in SF to see SF or stay in Berkeley. Decent hotel for 125. that budget is low so it depends on your definition of decent

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,879 posts
140 reviews
2. Re: Decent hotel between Berkeley and SF on transit

Agree with Belo that It is worthwhile just staying in Berkeley near the wedding and Cal football game (that is an assumption on my part).

BART into SF from Berkeley is 15 minutes longer than from downtown Oakland and you can explore parts of Berkeley and hang out without having to take the train. Plus i assume the wedding already has recommendations for hotels where you will be staying close to friends?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
3. Re: Decent hotel between Berkeley and SF on transit

As you're not planning on renting a car, make sure you're on a BART line. While there is a bus system (AC Transit) in the East Bay, being on the BART line will be much simpler and faster for getting around.

I don't usually recommend for people to stay outside SF to see SF but in this case perhaps staying in Berkeley would be the easiest. Because between Berkeley and SF is water. From downtown Berkeley to downtown SF is a 25 minute BART ride ($3.70pp).

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
78 reviews
4. Re: Decent hotel between Berkeley and SF on transit

May I ask where the wedding is? If it's at the Brazilian Building or the Claremont Resort, staying in or near downtown Berkeley would be fine. However, at that price point, you might want to consider something a little less central. For example, the Rose Garden Inn is a decent property on the south side of Berkeley and is convenient to most of Oakland and Berkeley, but it is not especially close to BART, so you would have to rely on the bus. Getting to/from SF might become a hassle at that point (outside of commute hours).

Another option to consider is a VRBO or AirBNB listing. You might be able to find something nice within walking distance of one of several good BART stations--Rockridge, MacArthur (neighborhood is called Temescal), Ashby (in Berkeley), downtown Berkeley, or North Berkeley--at a price point that is more to your liking.

5. Re: Decent hotel between Berkeley and SF on transit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 26, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Oakland