We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in San Fran but flying out of OAK

Woodhaven, Michigan
1 post
Save Topic
Staying in San Fran but flying out of OAK

I am hoping not to rent a car since it seems there is so much public transit. My problem is my flight leaves OAK at 6AM and the Bart isn't running that early. What would be a good option? It will be my son and I.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,385 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in San Fran but flying out of OAK

shuttle or cab. www.supershuttle.com

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,950 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in San Fran but flying out of OAK

The OAK airport website has a list of limo and shuttle services available to you: http://www.flyoakland.com/shuttles.shtml

Alternatively, you can simply arrange a taxi pick-up with your hotel. The cost for 2 people will be similar enough with any non-BART option.

Note that OAK is a smaller, friendlier airport than SFO, so you do not need to get to the airport too early. It sounds like you are traveling on a Saturday or Sunday, since the first weekday BART train connects to the AirBART shuttle in time to meet 6 AM flight departures, so keep in mind that baggage and security lines will be short.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,385 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in San Fran but flying out of OAK

friendlier airport ?

Smaller? yes, fewer flights ? yes

But friendlier ? More smiling TSA agents, -- United which has the slogan -- come fly the friendly skies is no longer at OAK. I did not understand what they meant then and I don't understand what a friendly airport means

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,950 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in San Fran but flying out of OAK

I've always had a good experience with the ground staff at OAK. The ground staff at SFO seems a little more disheveled, which I will blame on the hectic nature of the airport. As for United, I think it's a contract provision that all employees must be unhappy at all times. One of the worst airlines I've had the pleasure of doing business with.

5. Re: Staying in San Fran but flying out of OAK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 14, 2014