We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown Oakland hotels

Which Oakland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
262 reviews
Save Topic
Downtown Oakland hotels

Made our decision to instead of staying in SF, we are going to be staying in OAKLAND for 2 nights, going for a Raiders game, then do 1 night in SF on the Monday.... so we heard the best area for a hotel in Oakland would be downtown or in the area of Jack London Square? Would that be the best spot for stuff to do, restaurants etc? How far from o Co Coliseum is downtown Oakland? Easy access via the BART?

Just looking for what area on google map to look for hotel location (street location etc) like between 7th and 14th street be decent area?

What decent hotels would you suggest for $100-150 range per night, even less would be better, don't need anything fancy, we're going for a football game, sports bar etc so staying in room not really important, just something average and not in bad area.

Thanks for all your help

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,048 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Downtown Oakland hotels

These three are walking distance to a BART station. Jack London Square is farther away and across a freeway. So I would suggest checking these out:

Oakland Marriott City Center

Courtyard Oakland Downtown

Clarion Downtown Oakland

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Downtown Oakland hotels

Feeding your parameters into the Tripadvisor Oakland page, I get 4 hotels with decent ratings that are within your price range--the Clarion, the Courtyard (Marriott), the Washington Inn, and the Inn at Jack London. You could also check the Marriott Oakland, it might get down into that price range

The first three hotels are all in Downtown Oakland, within a few blocks of a BART station. BART will take you right to the Coliseum. The Courtyard and the Washington Inn--a historic property--are a couple of blocks from each other in the Old Oakland/Chinatown area. The Clarion is a few blocks north of these on 13th St., a perfectly good area, but one that's a little less lively at night. Any of the three will be near lots of restaurants.

Jack London is OK too, slightly less convenient, about a 8 block, maybe 10 minute walk to BART. That includes a safe but weird walk in an underpass beneath a freeway. There are restaurants around Jack London too, not quite so many, though there is a rockin' beer bar--Beer Revolution--across the street from the Inn. The Jack London area is a partially converted warehouse district and has a quieter vibe than Downtown Oakland, some prefer it, some don't.

There are good walking areas at Jack London and on the east side of downtown along Lake Merritt. The Oakland Museum is also near the Lake--it's a great museum of California art, ecology, and history. There are lots of historic buildings, especially early 20th Century ones, downtown and along Broadway. The historically restored Fox Theatre at 18th St. has concerts some times, the restored Paramount (at 21st) has plays, classic movies and such some nights.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Downtown Oakland hotels

thanks so much guys, think I will stick to the area's you mentioned and not Jack London Square, didn't realize was that much further... and yes close to bars, restaruants would be prefered, looks like downtown it is.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,423 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Downtown Oakland hotels

The Marriott in Downtown would be/is my first pick in Oakland.

You might look at Durrant's in Berkeley too.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Downtown Oakland hotels

theres two Marriots listed... the Marriott Oakland City Center or Courtyard by Marriott Oakland Downtown ?

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,048 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Downtown Oakland hotels

Yes two. One is a Marriott, the other is a Courtyard by Marriott. Personally I prefer the Courtyard as it is geared towards business travel and usually has free wifi and maybe free breakfast.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Downtown Oakland hotels

So narrowed down to these 4 hotels (seems like best area downtown), what would your choice be in order of these 4?

Courtyard by Marriott Oakland Downtown - 988 Broadway

Marriott Oakland City Centre - 1001 Broadway

Clarion Downtown Oakland - 371 13th St, Between Franklin & Webster

Washington Inn - 495 10th St

thanks so much for everyones input

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Downtown Oakland hotels

Wow YELP really is hard on the Washington Inn. Have you taken a look?

www.yelp.com/biz/the-washington-inn-oakland

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
22,185 posts
5,164 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Downtown Oakland hotels

Do not stay in Oakland unless you have friends there.

The city is pretty much a dud in terms of things to do

Jack London Square perhaps for a meal

Fentons for ice cream

but the football game is only going to take 5 hours or so.

Take Bart from San Francisco to Oakland Game and back to San Francisco.

BART is super easy for an Oakland game.....

Its a short walk from the station into the park.

If you are coming all the way from London, I would not bother to see the sights of Oakland - its pretty much a miss....

and even though there are some hotels there - its not a great neighborhood.

California Museum in Oakland is ok - but not worthy of visiting considering the finer musuems in San Francisco

Now - tell us more why you want to spend time in Oakland.

If for friends, ok

If for the game, skip.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Downtown Oakland hotels

thanks mini, and I'm pretty sure you don't work for the Oakland Tourism Board, LMAO....

Ok so here, this is my agenda, and i'm coming from London yes, Ontario Canada, not England. (Near Toronto/Detroit)

Fly into Oakland on the saturday... probably late afternoon....check into hotel (as of now would be a Downtown location).... plan is to head over to Ricky's Sports Bar (15028 Hesperian Blvd. San Leandro) and doing a little Raider Nation Pre Game festivities.... that would take care of most of Saturday evening (so if I were to stay in SF would just be on the move anyways as I arrive late in the day or early evening and by time to get to Rickys not really gonna be sightseeing in SF anyways that night).... after Rickys will be crashed and ready for Sunday's 1:00pm kickoff game. Sunday will be tailgating early (so again, if in SF not seeing anything either besides jumping on the BART to head over to Oakland).... the tailgate and game would be from 10am-5pm, then some more Raider Nation drinking with fans afterwards to fill the Sunday Night..... then my plans for San Francsico come into play as I would then check out early Monday morning, head over to SF and stay there at least 2 nights and do the sights and stuff in San Fran.

So I understand what you're recommending IF i were to be doing lots of sights and stuff before sundays game, but like I mentioned, will be arriving late Saturday, probably take a bit to get to hotel, settle in, then head to the Bar to start the pre night drinking with other fans..... and then Sunday will come and it's all Gameday then. So really, I see no point of staying in SF for the Sat/Sun nights as all my time will be in Oakland anyways.

I will then have all day Monday and Tuesday to see and visit the San Fran area.

What I do ask of you is what is a nice decent priced hotel in San Fran to spend 2 nights close to or in a good sightseeing area? We do plan on Alcatraz tour and thats all as of now... rest is up in the air, just checking the sights and seeing what comes up.