We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Security Lines at Oakland

Which Oakland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
14,476 posts
Save Topic
Security Lines at Oakland

We'll be having a layover of just under 4 hours in Oakland. This will be on a Wednesday afternoon. I 'm looking for a ball park figure as to the amount of time we should allow to go thru security. Our intent is to take Bart in to China Town, get a quick lunch, and return immediately. We're open to staying in Oakland if there is comparably oriental food in any nearby areas. I'm open to suggestion. I really don't want to stay in the airport for four hours.

Thanks in advance.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Security Lines at Oakland

I don't think that you have enough time. To get to Coliseum BART station;you need to take AirBart Shuttle which can take 10minutes if you hop right on; buy tickets;then hope that you get a departing train to the city right away(30min);walk to Chinatown from BART station(Montgomery) 15min;lunch 30min;REturn=1hr40min+add time for wait connections 60min Total=3.33hr The security lines get long in the afternoon especially at Southwest Airlines so the airport is suggesting at least 2 hours for the entire check in process including the security. Sometimes the security lines go out the door.

It seems like alot of time for a 30 min lunch.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
14,476 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Security Lines at Oakland

Thanks, Ricardo. Do you know of any good places for a quick lunch, preferably oriental, close to the airport? Also, any idea whether they have those locker rentals inside the secured area?

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
485 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Security Lines at Oakland

Oakland Chinatown has loads of good asian restaurants: chinese, korean, vietnamese, cambodian. You could get the BART to 12th st Downtown Oakland Station and explore the Chinatown area east of Broadway, around Franklin, Harrison, Webster...two very good cambodian restaurants, Phnom Penh House at 8th just east of Harrison, and Battambang, at Broadway and 9th. Good dim sum and seafood at Jade Villa, 8th and Broadway. Rang Dong has very good Vietnamese, 7th and Webster.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
14,476 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Security Lines at Oakland

Great info--I truly appreciate it.

I'm saving your response.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Security Lines at Oakland

I don't think you have enough time either. Even if you land on time, it will take you a while just to walk out of the airport (given that you odn't need to pick up your bag, which can take another 30 minutes). I wouldn't use public transportation if you leave anywhere. Take a cab. Just waiting for Airbart and getting to the BART station will take 25 minutes. Then waiting for the BART and getting to your destination can be another 30 mins at least. And you have to get back in time to go through security on the way back, which can take another 30-60 mins depending on when this is happening. I would not risk it. If you really want to and you arrive on time and don't need to get your bags, then take a cab to a nearby restaurant. and a cab back (make sure to call one so it's there when you're ready to leave) Keep in mind that just eating at the restaurant is 1-1.5 hrs.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Security Lines at Oakland

Le Chevalle in Old town very near the 12th street Oakland station is an outstanding award winning Asian resturant. It will take less than 45 minutes to get through security. I did it recently at "Rush Hour" & it took far less.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
14,476 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Security Lines at Oakland

We fly in on SWA (terminal 2, I believe) and then get on ATA (terminal 1) on our way to Kauai. I don't believe we will have to claim our baggage since SWA and ATA are in a codeshare arrangement. I'm hoping that the baggage will be taking care of but I'm not sure. If this is the case, it give us a little bit more time to have lunch. Thanks for all the great responses. The last thing I want to do is risk missing our flight--I might get killed by the others.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Security Lines at Oakland

FYI- Security at Terminal one is faster than 2, so that should help. But I would agree that if you want to go to Chinatown for a good lunch (and there are lots of good places to do so) then take a cab instead of BART. And this ONLY if you are checked through on ATA.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
485 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Security Lines at Oakland

Le Cheval is overrated, and much too crowded for such a hit and run trip, don't waste your time or $$...Rang Dong is miles ahead in terms of Vietnamese authenticity and hospitality....chef does his pho broth with lots of bones for an authentic, richer taste and appearance. Le Cheval is toned down for western tastes and you will never see local vietnamese families eating there, they will be enjoying pho at Rang Dong and the mom & pop pho shops around San Antionio Park. Sorry, I feel very strongly that all the hyperbole swimming around Le Cheval is undeserved.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Security Lines at Oakland

"and you will never see local Vietnamese families eating there, they will be enjoying pho at Rang Dong and the mom & pop pho shops around San Antionio Park. Sorry, I feel very strongly that all the hyperbole swimming around Le Cheval is undeserved."

Pure Nonsense! I ate there on Thursday & over half the dinners were Vietnamese. You may have a favorite which is what makes horse race but brag it up. don't knock a 20 plus years Oakland institution. Also the Old Town area has marvelous architecture, shops & bars. Incredible old restored buildings & Victorian homes there & adjacent Preservation Park. Oakland AIN'T all slums & crime but is filled with wonderful neighborhoods such as Old Town.

PS The San Antonio Park area is a new growing community & I enjoy it also but does not compare to Old Town IMO.