We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marin airporter + Novato Days Inn

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Marin airporter + Novato Days Inn

Dear all,

I will stay in Novato Days Inn hotel for a week. The plan is to take the Marin airporter bus from San Francisco airport, and I guess the closest bus stop to Novato is "Hamilton".

My question is, is there a way to go from Hamilton to Novato Days Inn hotel by bus? or if not a bus, is it easy to find a taxi at Hamilton stop?

Another question regarding the Hotel itself, is it nearby the center of Novato? do you think it is a good area to stay in?

Maybe good to mention that my purpose of stay is for studying and not for touristic reasons.

Thanks a lot!

Sara

5 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
1. Re: Marin airporter + Novato Days Inn

There are not many (if any) Marin county residents on these forums. I would contact the hotel directly with regards to getting to the hotel from the Airporter stop.

However, this hotel is right off the freeway and not near "downtown" Novato. Where will you be studying and how do you plan to get around? Marin county is very suburban (rural in some places) and except for commute buses and some ferries into San Francisco, doesn't have a fabulous transit system.

Have you used Google Maps for transit? Your airporter stop is located at 1455 North Hamilton Parkway which is 6.5 miles from your lodging but the bus would take an hour.

I can't see doing anything in Marin without a car.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
5,179 posts
2. Re: Marin airporter + Novato Days Inn

The question of how you are going to get around is crucial. You really need a car there. The western part of the USA is virtually a public transport-free zone, except San Francisco and LA is working on it. Not at all like Western Europe. From that hotel there is only the freeway. No walking, no bicycling. Probably Uber to some extent. What are you going to be doing there/where studying? You will spend a fortune and be terribly inconvenienced without a rental car. Can you speak with your school colleagues and work something else out? At least be near the town so you can get something to eat, walk around. The area in itself is great for mountain biking and beautiful views but you need a car to access all of that.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Marin airporter + Novato Days Inn

Dear Panch04 and SymphonyBear,

Thanks a lot for your fast reply! I'm glad that I posted my question to this forum, otherwise my trip would be very difficult!

Well I have a course at the Buck Institute for one week, I checked google map, and I found that Novato Days Inn hotel is 15-minute walk from the buck institute (however I don't know if the road is safe..). I contacted the hotel to ask if they can pick me up from Hamilton stop, but did not get an answer yet..

I need a hotel near by the city center to get access to restaurant/supermarket and to be also accessible to the buck Institute. Driving is not an option for me, unfortunately.

The buck Institute suggested these hotel Novato Oaks Inn and Marriott Courtyard (they have free shuttle bus to the institute), however these are very expensive and I guess they are not located near the town..

Do you suggest another hotel in the area?

Thanks a lot, I appreciate

Sara

Edited: 11:14 am, February 22, 2017
Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
5,179 posts
4. Re: Marin airporter + Novato Days Inn

Sara I was just checking on airbnb - there are rooms for rent in private homes - this one looks nice as well as inexpensive with a young family

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/10127267…

as well as this gets really good reviews

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/10127267…

As a bicyclist I checked out the Days Inn, yes looks close but straight uphill! (ok downhill going home) plus I think you would be very isolated and much better experience closer to town. staying at freeway motels can be, well, depressing.

Buck looks quite interesting - and how "Marin" - figuring out how we can live forever! healthily of course...and with an IM Pei building - how cool is that.

I wonder if you contact the Institute if they have some resident doctors or scholars who rent out rooms to visitors? That can be a good option when studying, although it can go haywire also to mix your studies up with your stay - esp. places of higher learning can have a very telenovela-esque/soap opera social scene, but its only a week...

Or at least figure out a car-pool deal with somebody in your course.

I have recently had good experiences with airbnb shares (not entire rentals which are getting illegal/contraversial in many cities). A young (20 yr old) ballet student of mine in Berlin is having a nice time with her hosts - OK I check them out pretty carefully - they tend to be proud of their town/city/neighborhood and its a warmer experience than a hotel.

Happy to help you search and I don´t think upon 10 minutes thought that living forever is so so appealing.

California
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
5. Re: Marin airporter + Novato Days Inn

Once again, if you Google Map the Buck Institute you can then search nearby for motels. The Days Inn is about 6 miles north of the Buck Institute but would take an hour on the bus.

If you cannot drive then you'll really need to be somewhere close to your studies or at the one which has a shuttle. You might check the Inn Marin. It appears to be walking distance (about a mile) but would require walking under the freeway.

Hopefully there are some people at this class who have a car because without one you're going to be quite stuck, I'm afraid. Get a data plan and download Uber/Lyft too because cabs in that area are rather non-existent.

<<I need a hotel near by the city center to get access to restaurant/supermarket and to be also accessible to the buck Institute. Driving is not an option for me, unfortunately.>>

There is no such place. Take a "walk" via Google Street View and you'll see. This is not a "city" but a suburban community that is much more residential than village.

Edited: 12:09 pm, February 22, 2017
Reply to: Marin airporter + Novato Days Inn
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Novato