We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental location question in Newport

denver
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Rental location question in Newport

We are planning a trip in May with 2 small children (4 and 9 months) and my parents in their 60s. I am looking at a house rental that is near 60th street on the beach. Is this too far out of the action? Is it walkable to restaurants/shopping? I like the place because the boardwalk does not run right in front of the patio like all the places closer to the pier so there's a bit more quiet/privacy. Are there any parks with playgrounds nearby? Thanks in advance!

Coloma, California
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental location question in Newport

As a former property owner and resident on the peninsula, unless you are in your 20's and love to be surrounded by loud parties especially on the weekend I would advise not to do a rental in"party central"area of Newport.

I'm talking about from32nd to 45th. It isn't too bad in May on non holidays. The downside is it isn't close to restaurants and the ability to walk down the boardwalk. If you have a bike it isn't a bad ride down Seashore to the start of the boardwalk at 36th st

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,704 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental location question in Newport

Yes, I think 60th is way too far. I would want to be near the Newport Pier, the Balboa Pier or my top choice for a family like yours would be on Balboa Island.

I'd also use a local agency to find a home. There is top question in Newport Beach that lists local agencies like Burr White, Abrams Coastal and BN Realty.

Burr White Realty - http://www.burrwhite.com/

Balboa Newport Realty - http://www.balboanewport.com

Abrams Coastal Properties - http://www.abramscoastalproperties.com

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
916 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental location question in Newport

I agree that that is too far. We've been visiting since 1987, are in our 60's and now visit with 3 generations including kids (this year) 3 and 8. We have always rented on the boardwalk, ranging from 14th St to 34th St. I would recommend the area between the piers as a bit quieter. May should be relatively quiet. You definitely want to avoid the week of the 4th of July. The kids enjoy the playground in front of the school between 13th and 14th, so we have been renting in the 1400 block since 2007. Personally I don't see much point in staying on Balboa Island. We go to the beach to be at the beach. Burr White is our preferred agency.

Edited: 12:41 am, March 17, 2014
Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
67 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental location question in Newport

60th street is pretty far from the action and in the opposite direction that I'd recommend.

If you have bicycles (with trailers for younger children) it could work but you might want to go to Google street view and virtually see where you want to go.

I'd recommend looking into an area closer to Balboa pier or on Balboa Island for a family of multiple generations. From Balboa Island, you can easily walk to the more active party atmosphere of the Peninsula and still get a good night's sleep. In addition to parks, the Fun Zone (where the Ferry goes between Balboa Island and Balboa Peninsula is fun for children and adults. Also, there's a small playground right at the Balboa Pier.

New York
Level Contributor
950 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental location question in Newport

We rent on balboa island...it is beautiful

denver
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental location question in Newport

Thanks for all the feedback. I've decided to pass on that place and found something closer in. Appreciate the info!

7. Re: Rental location question in Newport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:22 am, March 22, 2015