We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newport Landing whale watch? Should we pay more for another

Which Newport Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Johnstown, Colorado
Level Contributor
356 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Newport Landing whale watch? Should we pay more for another

I am hoping for your help! We are staying in Carlsbad the first week of April with our boys, ages 10 and 7. We would like to do a whale watching tour and came across Newport Landing which seems to be a great deal at $16 with a coupon I found online. This is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than all other companies I have found. Is this a good whale watch tour for our family to take or should we pay more for Hornblower or some of the other companies? Thank you!

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,334 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newport Landing whale watch? Should we pay more for another

Dana Point or Oceanside are closer to Carlsbad than Newport.There are tours there.I would go to Dana Point.

Have you looked into Capt Daves?

Its not cheap, but its a good tour, especially on the boat with the underwater viewing pods.

www.dolphinsafari.com

While there, look into the Ocean Institute across the harbor. Its a learning facility for school kids, interesting for grown ups too. Also tall ships to tour and tide pools right nearby.

Johnstown, Colorado
Level Contributor
356 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newport Landing whale watch? Should we pay more for another

Thank you!! I will look into that one.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,988 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newport Landing whale watch? Should we pay more for another

We went on a tour with Davey's Locker with a coupon for I think a $15 or $16. Wonderful trip, saw many blue whales from a distance (visiting in summer) and close up on 2 whales. Lots of fun and got the coupons off Orange County website. orangecounty.net/html/…whale-watchingnewport

Edited: 9:40 pm, February 27, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
875 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newport Landing whale watch? Should we pay more for another

We did Capt Daves dolphin safari a couple of years ago and can strongly recommend it.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,311 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newport Landing whale watch? Should we pay more for another

Newport is maybe 25 minutes further north. If the savings is significant I'd do that and you also have more to do after the whale tour in the immediate area of Newport Landing than Dana Point Harbor.

Johnstown, Colorado
Level Contributor
356 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newport Landing whale watch? Should we pay more for another

Wow Dolphin Safari is $59 per ticket vs. $16 with the computer a little farther away. I think we will stick with the one we have... I wonder why the significant price increase for dolphin safari? That's a huge difference...

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
67 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Newport Landing whale watch? Should we pay more for another

Th Newport Landing option is further North but probably worth it if you explore Balboa Island and surrounding areas. I think you're just getting the good local's deal that I use.

I've been on the trip many times and have seen whales every time. No guarantees that you'll spot a whale but it's a nice no frills whale watching trip. Bathrooms are clean, snack and drinks are fine.

You'll definitely see sea lions on a buoy on the way out, probably dolphins and good chance for a whale.

8. Re: Newport Landing whale watch? Should we pay more for another

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 03, 2015