We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Balboa Island Beaches?

Which Newport Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
233 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Balboa Island Beaches?

After much thought I have decided to focus on finding a rental for my family on Balboa Island (also considered the peninsula (where my brother lives) and CDM). our party will be my family of 4, our girls will be 6 and 3.5 and my parents. Stay at Marriott newport Coast (also great) on our last trip and went to Balboa Island for breakfast at Wilma's and a stroll and I fell in love!

We will be visiting for a week in mid May. I am focusing on renting something bayfront so the girls can dig/swim right in front of the house and we can take turn sitting w/ them, walking back into house, instead of having to pack up for the beach.

Are there certain areas that are better for the "beach" aspect? Are they all public beaches? It seems like some of the houses have a lot of boats tied up right at the beach which would make it difficult to do any swimming.

Any insight is appreciated!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,392 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Balboa Island Beaches?

All the beaches in CA are public. I think North Bayfront has the better beaches, but I'd rather have the views from South Bayfront.

The boats won't effect swimming (I assume you mean splashing around, not doing laps).

Use Google Maps to your advantage.

http://goo.gl/maps/VQaKT

Edited: 12:02 pm, July 23, 2013
Boston
Level Contributor
233 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Balboa Island Beaches?

ok thanks, and what about East Bayfront? And yes, definitely just the kids splashing around

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,171 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Balboa Island Beaches?

Yuch Scott! I wouldn't want to be swimming around those boats. The water quality is dreadful. Stick to be public swimming beaches where the water quality is tested.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,392 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Balboa Island Beaches?

East Bayfront would come in behind South & North in my book purely on aesthetics.

The water in the harbor is very clean. On Balboa Island The Grand Canal, Onyx Beach, Park Ave Beach, Abalone Ave Beach, Garnet Ave Beach, Sapphire Ave Beach and Ruby Ave Beach all get A or A+ grades from Heal The Bay.

healthebay.org/sites/…BRC_2013_WEB.pdf

I was swimming in front of Buddy Ebsen's old house (530 S Bayfront) with the kids from the Balboa Island Yacht Club this last week and the water was great.

New York
Level Contributor
949 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Balboa Island Beaches?

Balboa island is fantastic...we rented a house on grand canal and are renting it again this sept...look on VRBO to see the house rentals...every area s beautiful but I would never think of swimming in the bay...

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Balboa Island Beaches?

I agree with Scott. IF I was going to be on Balboa Island my first choice would be S. Bayfront, then N. Bayfront and then E. Bayfront. I like the views best on the S. Bayfront side. There are lots of boats all around the island but if they are just going in the water a little it won't matter, they can get in and play in the sand. I will add that this weekend we were walking and one of the kids commented they did not care for the look of the beaches on BI, not appealing. For little kids digging in sand they probably won't notice. I understand the appeal of Balboa Island but I would actually look at staying on the Peninsula though, as I like the beach better on the ocean.

New York
Level Contributor
949 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Balboa Island Beaches?

Jennifer you were the person who recommended we stay on balboa island and I am grateful to you...we are going back again same house on the canal...as much as I love the beach I prefer balboa because its quieter and I love the town and walking the boardwalk....then fun to take the ferry to the beach...great place!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Balboa Island Beaches?

the water is so cold in may you won't be spending much time in it without a wet suit. if your brother lives there....shouldn't he be able to answer your questions.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Balboa Island Beaches?

GLM for you it was 100% the right fit. It depends what you are looking for. We go to BI more often than the Peninsula because we like the shops, restaurants,walking around, etc on BI. IF we go to the beach we head to the Peninsula or CDM, the beaches are just nicer. For little kids splashing around and digging it probably does not matter that the beach on BI are not nearly as nice.

New York
Level Contributor
949 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Balboa Island Beaches?

I love CDM also...and for the OP there is a place near there called pirates cove where water is calm