We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice Casual Place on the Peninsula for a Group Dinner?

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,943 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Nice Casual Place on the Peninsula for a Group Dinner?

A bunch of us who grew up in Newport are returning for our high school reunion. Some of us are planning to get together for dinner the night before the Big Night. Since we have been away so long, many of the old favorites are gone, and I am sure some great places have sprung up in the meantime. Looking for someplace casual, good food and value, preferably with outside seating for 10 to 14 people. Woody's might work, Sabatino's looks great, Cannery also; 21 Oceanfront has a nice menu but I don't see outside seating. Crab Cooker is probably too chaotic. but I would love to hear some personal recommendations and opinions. Thank you!

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,253 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice Casual Place on the Peninsula for a Group Dinner?

You might consider Bayside Restaurant. It's got a varied good menu and lots of space. http://www.baysiderestaurant.com/

Note that the picture on the TA website is of the wrong restaurant. It must be a Bayside someplace else.

Newport's Bayside restaurant is a large modern upscale restaurant, not a little cafe.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,685 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice Casual Place on the Peninsula for a Group Dinner?

Yes, it is sad so many great places are gone. The Warehouse was one of my first jobs other than being a paperboy for the Daily Pilot.

You might look at The Bluewater Grill (old Delaney's), they have a nice little patio. The Dock is close by too and nice.

If you don't mind going all the way down the peninsula, Newport Landing is good and the people who own Newport Landing took over the old Tale of the Whale at the Balboa Pavilion and turned it into a nice place, the Harborside Grill.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,943 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice Casual Place on the Peninsula for a Group Dinner?

Thanks! Looks like the Bayside is not on the Peninsula, or does Tripadvisor have that wrong too? The Bluewater looks nice; great location. The Dock looks a little fussy (tiny bits of food on a big plate).

We wouldn't mind being farther down the Peninsula; most of us are staying either near the Newport Pier, or at a rented house closer to the Balboa pier. Trying to find someplace that feels more like old Newport than "The OC" if that makes any sense.

New York
Level Contributor
950 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice Casual Place on the Peninsula for a Group Dinner?

Rusty Pelican

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
52,685 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice Casual Place on the Peninsula for a Group Dinner?

Heck, go to Mutt Lynch's then. They haven't changed since high school.

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,440 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice Casual Place on the Peninsula for a Group Dinner?

So funny Scott, immediately Mutt Lynchs came to mind here too. El Ranchito, didnt it at one time have a courtyard? and they had to close it because it was a fire code violation? anyways thats a great place to hang out for hours

Add Gladstones to the list of past iconic Newport spots with patios for outdoor dining

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
52,685 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice Casual Place on the Peninsula for a Group Dinner?

I'd forgotten all about Gladstones, or blocked if from my memory is maybe more accurate. My sister was a hostess there and at the succeeding restaurant, Gorda Lis, two of the several now defunct places she worked in high school and college.

8. Re: Nice Casual Place on the Peninsula for a Group Dinner?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, May 19, 2014