We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good place to work on / near the beach with a laptop?

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Good place to work on / near the beach with a laptop?

I'm flying in to the Santa Ana airport (John Wayne SNA) for a meeting with coworkers in Newport Beach. I'm not familiar with the area. I'll have about six hours to kill before the meeting, so I thought I'd head to the beach and do some work on my laptop.

For any locals or anyone familiar with Newport Beach, CA, where are some good places I could go? I won't have wheels so I'll need to take a cab or rent a car (I'd prefer to take a cab.)

I have grand visions of a cafe or restaurant on the beach with wifi and power outlets... one that wouldn't mind me camping out for most of the day. Anything close to that?

Also, is this a bad idea? Not sure what the crime situation is -- would I just make myself a target, sitting there with a laptop for hours?

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,415 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good place to work on / near the beach with a laptop?

There are hundreds of cafes and restaurants in Newport Beach, but I have to say I'm stumped with your criteria. I can't think of one cafe "on the beach with wifi and power outlets." You might consider one of the "off beach" Starbuck's locations or the Newport Beach Library off Avacado and PCH. You could go to one of the beach areas with picnic areas and hang out with your laptop but there won't be power outlets.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good place to work on / near the beach with a laptop?

The large Shopping mall, Fashion Island in Newport Beach offers free Wi-Fi. It does overlook the beach and might be a good fit.

http://www.shopfashionisland.com/

If it is a weekday, you can just take the public bus, OCTA Route 76 goes from the John Wayne Airport to Fashion Island. (No weekend service).

octa.net/ebusbook/…route076.pdf

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,415 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good place to work on / near the beach with a laptop?

Re Darkbeer's suggestion (probably as good as you'll get): There is an outdoor area at Newport Center where you could hangout www.shopfashionisland.com/PhotoGallery.aspx#

It's not exactly at the beach but there is a peek of ocean view in the distance.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
2 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good place to work on / near the beach with a laptop?

If you go to the pier at Newport Beach, you will find a lovely restaurant right on the beach - 21 Oceanfront. The bar has windows looking out onto the ocean. Give them a call ahead, and ask about the outlets and wi-fi. I suggest you work the night before, and spend your 6 hours enjoying the beautiful pier area. Happy hour at 21 Oceanfront is a MUST.

Good luck! Enjoy.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,415 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good place to work on / near the beach with a laptop?

21 Oceanfront doesn't open until 4 p.m. and I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate a 6 hour "camper."

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
327 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good place to work on / near the beach with a laptop?

Like the others, I'm fairly stumped on this. There is a Starbucks at the Crystal Cove shopping center that's quite close to the beach, but you won't have your feet in the sand or even see the water from inside with a plug.

I'm mainly replying to let you know that you don't need to worry about crime in this situation!

Good luck!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,679 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good place to work on / near the beach with a laptop?

Popular crimes in Newport are tax evasion and stock fraud..... not so much the icky stuff.

The Starbucks on Balboa Island has power outlets at the "counter seating" but not comfy for extended stay. The Starbucks at Crystal Cove is more comfortable, but no guarantee you'll get the comfy seats or a plug, it is a popular place.

Mutt Lynch's by the Newport Pier has WiFi, but I am not sure on plugs; you could have lunch and nurse a beer or two for a long time.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
216 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good place to work on / near the beach with a laptop?

I think there are a few options that might fit your requirements.

The Newport Beach Hotel is located on the beach next to the Newport Pier. (http://www.newportbeachwalkhotel.com/). It has a lobby area downstairs that, I think, has a little bar or cafe. I'm sure they have wi-fi. If you explain your situation (or call ahead), they may let you hang out in the lobby area doing work all day, and you would be steps from the sand.

Also, the Balboa Inn, next to the Balboa Pier might allow for a similar arrangement 9http://www.balboainn.com/index.html). They have a little restaurant/bar on the first floor (right on the boardwalk), and might let you hang out there or in the lobby to do work, especially if you get lunch there. I'm also sure they must have wi-fi. Also, on the Balboa Inn property there is a tiny little cafe (they mainly sell sandwiches and gelato), with a tiny outdoor patio. It's not real charming, but it might get the job done. (yelp.com/biz/cafe-bella-luna-newport-beach) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZacmxZ7Qp-k). I'm not sure about wi-fi, but it probably gets the signal from the Balboa Inn, if you can work out something with them.

Edited: 1:37 pm, April 25, 2013
Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
216 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good place to work on / near the beach with a laptop?

One other suggestion. There is a Newport Beach public library branch in Balboa that is across the street from the beach, on 6th street and Balboa Blvd. You can't see the ocean from their facility, but you would be across the street from the beach, so could take some beach breaks. I'm assuming they have wi-fi. www.newportbeachlibrary.org/about/hours

10. Re: Good place to work on / near the beach with a laptop?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 27, 2014