We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heading to Newport Beach the first week of Feb!

Which Newport Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
West Chester, PA
Level Contributor
27 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Heading to Newport Beach the first week of Feb!

My husband and I are staying at the Marriott NBV. I saw a couple of posts with some info about specific meals-Christmas brunch and meals with kids. But we are looking for romantic spots, good seafood, sushi, pubs, any thing with great views? It looks like it would be a great time to do some hiking, bird watching. If so where do you suggest? Also is Balboa Island a one day excursion? We are 50 so not looking for crazy nite life!

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,067 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Heading to Newport Beach the first week of Feb!

GLM -- I haven't been to Rusty Pelican in a long time. It was a fun place to go 20 years ago. I wasn't impressed the last time I was there a few years ago but since it seems to be doing well maybe things have improved (?) Your comment makes me think it might have.

Everybody's opinion is important. Please keep posting.

Midwest
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Heading to Newport Beach the first week of Feb!

My 2 cents

Pass on Catalina

Pass on Muldoons for food, fine for entertainment

Try the sand dabs they are good, Las Brisas often has them as a special

Fukada for Sushi

& Note to self- Try Starfish Laguna

23. Re: Heading to Newport Beach the first week of Feb!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 am, January 30, 2013
New York
Level Contributor
949 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Heading to Newport Beach the first week of Feb!

LSCats - we loved the Rusty Pelican, went twice, the service was amazing. We had been to the Bluewater Grill several times and this time decided to try the Cannery instead...big mistake, decent food buy very expensive and more upscale.

Corona del Mar, CA
Level Contributor
48,855 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Heading to Newport Beach the first week of Feb!

Seems to me a 20+ year OC resident would know Fukada is in Irvine near the Spectrum.

The OP asked for pubs...... I am all ears for better pubs than Muldoon's in Newport Beach. It isn't Rudy's, it isn't the Shamrock... The Harp Inn is great, but it is in Costa Mesa....

As to the Rusty Pelican, we haven't been there for years, or really many of the restaurants that are in that area now (other than the Shamrock). I don't think it is bad, but it is like we moved on as Newport got more restaurants, especially closer to us. The Ancient Mariner, Josh Slocum's, Rusty Pelican and John Dominus are all spots we used to frequent. I think the RP is the only one left now and we just never think of it.

Midwest
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Heading to Newport Beach the first week of Feb!

{shaking head} Its days like this I know why I never follow the advice of a certain poster unless Im looking for the closest convenience store

Fukada was introduced to me by some execs @ Mazdas HQ in Irvine, its at Irvine Center and the 405 freeway. While Soba and Udon are their specialties, I normally go for their Sea Bass, sushi & sashimi

Food is EXCELLENT

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,067 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Heading to Newport Beach the first week of Feb!

Thanks GLM. I think many restaurants have had to restructure their formats and adjust to the economy in recent years. Rusty Pelican was one of the restaurants that got too expensive for what you got several years ago but judging by its website, it (and several other restaurants) got the message that the public just wasn't willing to spend like in prior years.

I was recently pleasantly surprised by my old favorite The Golden Truffle, just up Newport Blvd. in Costa Mesa. They had gotten so expensive and the service was so pretentious and annoying, I stopped going there. I returned recently for a holiday luncheon because one of my office staff members suggested it. They had updated the decor, brought the menu prices down to realistic and returned the service to that appropriate to a friendly neighborhood bistro rather than a snooty formal dinner house.

Those restaurants that respond to the needs of their customers and the realities of the economy will survive.

28. Re: Heading to Newport Beach the first week of Feb!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 26, 2014