We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive time on a Monday morning Laguna Bch to SNA

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
15 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Drive time on a Monday morning Laguna Bch to SNA

I have an 8:25 AM flight out of SNA on a Monday morning in April, staying in southern Laguna Beach. I am worried about how early we'd have to leave our hotel to get car renatl returned and on time to flight. Would we be safer and get more sleep if we stay at a hotel near SNA Sunday night? OR suggest the best route to get to SNA on a Monday at 6 AM ? or what ever time we need to leave?

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,300 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive time on a Monday morning Laguna Bch to SNA

It should take you around 30 minutes to get to SNA via Pacific Coast Highway on Monday at 6 a.m. Take PCH north to MacArthur Blvd, turn right on MacArthur and then left into the airport. There shouldn't be any heavy traffic through Laguna Beach at that hour. You will have more than enough time to turn in your car (right across from the terminal) and go through security if you arrive at the airport 90 minutes before your flight. Even on Monday morning it shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes to get through security.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,300 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive time on a Monday morning Laguna Bch to SNA

I suggest that you do NOT follow any of the Google Maps recommended routes for taking the 405, 73 or 55 freeways to the airport. They are longer and are more likely to be impacted by traffic.

Just take PCH to MacArthur and take that all the way to the airport. If you turn left on Campus, you can go in the back (Campus Drive) entrance to the airport (entrance about 100 yards after you turn left off MacArthur) but if you miss that, MacArthur will take you to the main airport entrance.

Since you are "worried" about it, I suggest that you take that route when you arrive. When you leave the airport via MacArthur, turn right and take it all the way to PCH (about 5 miles). Turn left at PCH and take it to South Laguna.

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive time on a Monday morning Laguna Bch to SNA

I would also do the PCH to MacArthur route, but wouldnt risk leaving anything after 6-6:30

Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive time on a Monday morning Laguna Bch to SNA

You're giving yourself lots of time if you leave at 6:00. I probably wouldn't leave much after 6:30 either as others suggest but traffic won't be too bad at all at that time. The last time we had an early morning start at SNA, we had a 7:25 flight and got to the airport at about 6:00 and traffic was incredibly light (coming from Long Beach). Rental car dropoff is a breeze and security is really quick. In my three times through SNA (twice in the last 30 days) I don't think we ever had much of a wait. The terminal has lots of good food choices now too as the renovations are complete (just a couple of new places to open yet as of last week, but they should be open soon), so if you end up beeing way early then there won't be an issue with finding something decent to eat.

And yes, stay off the freeways. PCH and MacArthur will be good then afaik. If you do decide to come in the night before (and I see no reason why you should), I can recommend the Springhill Suites, which is only 5 minutes from the airport and a straight shot down MacArthur. We've stayed there a few times after late evening arrivals and find it to be very decent and the typical $79 rate makes it a great deal.

Edited: 11:41 am, February 19, 2012
Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive time on a Monday morning Laguna Bch to SNA

The more info you give us the more accurate reply you will get. What hotel at? Are you returning the car at SNA?

You say "we"several times so I'm taking that to mean that here are at least 2 people traveling,; to make your departure easier and quicker drop your passenger(s) and luggage in front of the departure terminal and let them take it into the terminal. Let them wait for you Then take the car back. That way you can just take the car back. Then, all you have to do is walk over to the elevator and take it up to the terminal without having to deal with luggage slowing you down. If you are checking any luggage the travel partner(s) could take care of that while you return the car. That will save you some time.

I didn't see anything from you about whether or not you were planning on eating breakfast at the airport. Dining there is generally very quick and pretty good (personally, I like Creative Croisants in terminal B, directly to your right after you clear securit)y.

Given all of the info that you didn't provide I'd also agree withCats' route.: Coast HWY to MacArthur Blvd. (turn right) then go in the back entrance to the airport off Campus (to get to Campus from Macarthur you will need to turn left on Bristol Ave. and take it about 1 mile then turn right onto Campus. The airport entrance will be a few blocks up on your left.

Based upon the minimal information I'm working with I'd say you could easily make an 8:25 flight even if leaving your hotel at 7:AM. Security at SNA is very quick.

As a note to give you a little more confidence in my reply, I fly out of SNA approximately 40 times a year and have for about 10 years. I do, however, live in Newport Beach and I take a cab and it gets me to the airport in 10 minutes.

The old addage in the travel industry is: "Trust the locals not the yockals". Cats and I are locals....Missiaka isnn't.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,300 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive time on a Monday morning Laguna Bch to SNA

I'm a Creative Croissants fan too. You can usually walk right up and get your coffee and whatever with no line. Look down at Starbucks and there is always a line for the coffee and pastries that aren't as good and cost twice as much (just because those people don't know any better).

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,010 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive time on a Monday morning Laguna Bch to SNA

I say it depends how far south "southern" Laguna Beach is. If you really mean South Laguna than Crown Valley Parkway to the 73 might be faster.

If you just mean the southern part of the main area of Laguna Beach, like the Surf and Sand, there is no doubt that Laguna Canyon to the 73 Toll Road is the fastest way. It will cost like $5 at the toll booth, but it is fast.

I would NOT drive all the way through Laguna Beach, the Newport Coast and then Corona del Mar to get to MacArthur Blvd at that time of day, it is prime rush hour.

If you don't want to pay the toll on the 73, then Coast Highway to Newport Coast Drive is the way to go. there is no need to fight the street traffic through Corona del Mar on Coast Highway to get to MacArther when Newport Coast Drive takes you to the same exact place.

If the flight is 8:25 and you have a car to drop off depending on how far south you are, leaving at 6:30 you should be fine, but if you tell us where you are starting from, I might adjust that by 15 minutes.

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive time on a Monday morning Laguna Bch to SNA

The more info you give us the more accurate reply you will get. What hotel ar you staying at? The term "southern " Laguna is rather nebulos and also one that most people that live here don't use. Are you returning the car at SNA?

You also say "we"so I'm taking that to mean that here are at least 2 people traveling,; to make your departure easier and quicker drop your passenger(s) and luggage in frnt of the departure terminal and let them take it into the terminal. Let them wait for you. That way you can just take the car back. Then, all you have to do is walk over to the elevator and take it up to the terminal without having to deal with luggage slowing you down. If you are checking any luggage the travel partner could take care of that while you return the car. That will save you some time.

I didn't see anything from you about whether or not you were planning on eating breakfast at the airport. Dining there is generally very quick and pretty good (personally, I like Creative Croisants in terminal B, directly to your right after you clear securit)y.

Given all of the info that you didn't provide I'd also agree withCats' route.: Coast HWY to MacArthur Blvd. (turn right) then go in the back entrance to the airport off Campus (to get to Campus from Macarthur you will need to turn left on Bristol Ave. and take it about 1 mile then turn right onto Campus. The airport entrance will be a few blocks up on your left.

Based upon the minimal information I'm working with I'd say you could easily make an 8:25 flight even if leaving your hotel at 7:AM. Security at SNA is very quick.

As a note to give you a little more confidence in my reply, I fly out of SNA approximately 40 times a year and have for about 10 years. I do, however, live in Newport Beach and I take a cab and it gets me to the airport in 10 minutes.

The old addage in the travel industry is: "Trust the locals not the yockels". Cats and I are locals....Missiaka isnn''t.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,010 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drive time on a Monday morning Laguna Bch to SNA

Well that is a weird double post 30 minutes apart.

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drive time on a Monday morning Laguna Bch to SNA

Scott; Often I write my posts on Word Pad and save them so if they don't post properly I can just paste them in. TA gives you almost no time to Edit (a pet peave of mine) and that helps in that respect.That's what happened there when I got a message from TA that my first post didn't take. (Famous Shrug).

BTW, you don't live in CDM do you? The more posts of yours that I read the more I think that you now live in San Diego. How do you like it there? I'm considering a job offer there.

Rem