We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,544 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling

Are there any areas close to shore to snorkle or are most good areas only had by going by boat?

las vegas
Level Contributor
485 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling

Go to Catalina. You can take a day trip directly from Newport Beach:

http://www.catalinainfo.com/

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling

No need to go to Catalina. Since you're staying at NCV Crystal Cove is right there.

Crystal Cove, which is a shallow breaking beach and very clear is popular for this. One of the reasons it's caled Crystal Cove is because it's very clear, relatively speaking.

It's also a dolphin birthing ground so some people may find that enticing although it depends on the time of the year.

Water temps late August/early Sept. are at their warmest.

http://www.crystalcovestatepark.com/about.htm

There is, supposedly, (and I don't know this for sure) that there is also a ship wreck in about of 80 feet of water off shore.

www.crystalcovestatepark.com

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,398 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=22806

I don't think there is an actual shipwreck at Crystal Cove but if you scroll down the page on the above link to Crystal Cove State Park you'll find reference to other interesting underwater finds including an airplane and two historic anchors.

las vegas
Level Contributor
485 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling

If you decide to snorkel at Crystal Cove and want to find out what underwater attractions might be visible, Franko sells an excellent map: frankosmaps.com/mm5/merchant.mvc…

I stand by my previous comment, though. In Catalina, you are on the lee side of the island, protected from the ocean swell, so conditions are usually very calm. There are tons of fish within snorkeling distance of the surface. On the mainland, however, it is usually too rough to snorkel directly over the parts of the reef that extend up to the surface -- see the swell model here: cdip.ucsd.edu/… , and even if you are there on one of the rare days calm enough to do so, the sea life tends to hang out a little deeper. If you are a diver, you can get below the surgy conditions at the surface. Once you get below, say, 20 feet, and down to about 50 feet where the reefs tend to bottom out at the sandy bottom, there's a lot to see. But visibility is usually only 10-12 feet or so, so you just can't see that stuff from the surface, and most people can't dive that deep with just snorkeling equipment.

Edited: 12:25 pm, August 15, 2011
Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
216 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling

I've done some snorkeling in Laguna Beach too. We've gone out at Woods Cove and Three Arch Bay. You can go right off the beach. Nothing amazing, but worth the time.

The difference between Catalina and the mainland, I think, is the amount of fish and the ocean swells. In Catalina, you are snorkeling in calm waters, and there are tons of fish. On the mainland, you are often snorkeling in rougher waters and there are far fewer fish. But, on a calm day, it can be fun.

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,613 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling

Of the locations mentioned, Catalina is the best but you would have to go there by boat. Without a boat, the next best from my experience is the south side of 3 Arch Bay. However, thats a private neighborhood, and I dont know if the guard there allows people to access the beach easily(maybe you could ask?) Next after that would be Crystal Cove & Woods Cove

Snorkling is at best just OK in So CA

7. Re: Snorkeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, October 10, 2012