We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newport Beach Labour Day weekend 2011

Which Newport Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Newport Beach Labour Day weekend 2011

Hi,

I am considering staying in Newport beach around Labor Day, is this a good time to be in the area or are there other places in Los Angeles that have more going on around that time?

Thanks

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newport Beach Labour Day weekend 2011

Early September is a great time to be in Newport Beach or other areas of Southern California or other areas along the ocean.

But, your specific question, without knowing more about what you like to do, is impossible to answer.

Describe what you are looking for 'going on' to get a reasonable answer.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newport Beach Labour Day weekend 2011

Good idea! We are two girls in our early 20's, looking for a lively atmosphere. We are only looking to stay in a beach area in LA for the Sunday night, so just wondering if there are better areas anyone recommend eg Malibu, Laguna Beach? Any info is great thanks!

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newport Beach Labour Day weekend 2011

Labor day will be busy, busy, busy everywhere. As for accomodations , your budget may come into play---no matter where you are.

In Newport Beach, something like Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel might work. It's on Balboa Peninsula (locals simply refer to it as 'the peninsula') about a block from the ocean in one direction and a block in the other direction to the harbor. You're just a few minutes walk from the Newport Pier and the original DT of Newport Beach, McFadden Square. Have a nice dinner at Il Farro, a nice, Manhattan style Italian place with character, good food and reasonable prices. After dinner walk next door to the Blue Beet for drinks, dancing, live music. It's the oldest bar/restaurant in Newport Beach. It should be 'rockin LD weekend.

During the day you will be directly across from one of the nicest beaches in the area. Wide, white sand, volleyball games, good waves and the water temps should be at their peaks (approximatly 72 degrees). That beach will be less crowded on LD Weekend because it's wider than the beach north of the Newport Pier and parking is not as available (which wouldn't be a problem for you if you were at the Bay Shores Hotel).

Further south is Newport's other pier---easily walkable---the Balboa Pier. It fronts the harbor entrance and sports Ruby's Diner at the end of it, sitting out over the water. At the lands end of the pier there are a number of bars/cantinas, pizza places and restaurants. You can also pick up the harbor cruise there and tour the celebrity homes, boats and get historic information. If you want to go parasailing, that's there too. Also, The Fun Zone with it's Ferris wheal, arcades and places to stop for a frozen bannana. If you're there at lunch time check out Newport Landing and sit on the second floor balcony with a terrific view of the traffic in the harbor and the mountains behind it. Often, on weekends, they feature live music and their oyster bar is really good.

From there you may choose to take the 2nd oldest continully operating ferry in the US for a beautiful, 4 minute trip from the peninsula to Balboa Island ($1.00/person, each way, to walk on board). Neat little island, you could walk the perimiter in about 45 minutes but if you walk over to Marine Ave. you will find lots of nice boutiques, restaurants and other stores that you should enjoy.

You can also take a day trip to Catalina Island if you want to. The ferry leaves around 9:00 AM (check the schedule) and takes about 75 minutes each way. It leaves Catalina around 4:30 PM and arrives back in Newport approximately 5:45. The Catalina Flyer is, essentially, a large catamaran which makes it very stable. It's just been completely refurbished and it's a beautiful ship with three decks and complete bar and it's a really nice 'mini-voyage'.

Catalina doesn't allow cars except for commercial vehicles so when you get there you can enjoy the beach at Avalon (the port) or rent either a golf cart or motor scooter and explore the island that way. There's the Wrigley Museum (former home of the Wrigley gum family) with Indian artifacts. Or, you can chase down the buffalo herd that grew out of some buffalo that were left after a movie shoot years ago. Or, they have a couple of decent bars/restaurants that should have some LD celebrations going on.

OK. That's all I've got for now. Let me know if any of this helped. If you have other things in mind tell us that too. The more we know the better we can help you.

For a digital guide to Newport Beach go to: www.visitnewportbeach.com Scroll about half way down the opening page and click on the link 'digital guide'. That will give you a lot of information about Newport Beach

www.ilfarro.com

www.thebluebeet.com

www.rubys.com

www.funzoneboats.com

www.balboaislandferry.com

www.balboa-island.net

www.newport-landing.com

www.thebestinn.com

Edited: 8:13 pm, July 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,514 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newport Beach Labour Day weekend 2011

Are there any rental places for beach chairs around Newport Pier?

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newport Beach Labour Day weekend 2011

Yes. Right at the foot of the pier. I think that they would rather sell than rent but I think they do both. Unfortnately, I've forgotten the name of the one that I'm thinking of but there should be several in nearby locations in that area. Bike rentals as well if that interests you. The long 'boardwalk/bikepath' there is ideal for renting a 'beach cruiser' (balloon tires) and riding several miles if you'd like.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,836 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newport Beach Labour Day weekend 2011

Ummm.... what RemDog said.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Newport Beach Labour Day weekend 2011

Thanks #1remdog! We are planning on renting a car, I saw on another thread that you mentioned rental companies that will wave the under 25 fee - what are they called?

Regarding accommodation, we are looking to pay as little as possible in but at the same time be as close to the centre of NB. We are willing to sacrifice the luxury needless to say!

What is the nightlife like in Newport? Is it more beach bars or nightclubs?

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Newport Beach Labour Day weekend 2011

Regarding accomodations: you might look into Priceline. People here on TA have reported getting the Hyatt Regency for as little as $69.00/night. I think that on Labor Day it's going to be more than that but it's worth taking a look. A couple of months ago I bid $65.00 for one weekend night and got turned down. I was just looking to see how low they would go. The location is good---near shopping, the beach, the harbor and the back bay.

Regarding rental cars: the companies that waive the under 25 fee can be any major company---it just depends on their own in-house policy. Some will waive it if you make a larger deposit. If your insurance company covers rentals, bring a copy of the policy. My sister recently rented a car through Hotwire. It turned out that the vendor was Enterprise and the car turned out to be a Chevy sedan that seated four. It had 11 miles on it when she picked it up---$13.00/day; $19.00/day with taxes and fees. Hot wire requires pre-paying the full rental price so be sure of your dates if you rent through them. If you are flying into SNA the cars are right on the airport---no need to take a shuttle---which is a great thing.

Nightlife is varied. Certainly plenty of 'beach bars' but also places with live music and dancing. Are you looking for one type or both? DT Huntington Beach will also be a good place to visit for entertainment in your age group. I'ts roughly 7 miles straight up PCH.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Newport Beach Labour Day weekend 2011

Hmm tried priceline but I don't like the idea of bidding for somewhere in a general area! Any other tips on where to look for super cheap accommodation? Don't really mind if it's shabby motel or anything!

Fullerton...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Newport Beach Labour Day weekend 2011

Longshot idea for you. I've rented a beach house in Newport the week before Labor Day the last 5 yrs. and I'll be going again this year. Usually, beach houses rent weekly Sat. to Sat. but with tough times being what they are...occasionally, some will rent for shorter stays. Labor day usually marks the end of summer rentals, so availability would also depend on when the winter renter is moving in.

http://burrwhite.com/Unit.mvc/Details/8468

This one is a really cute 2 bedroom/one bath, really clean, 4 houses from the beach and a block from the Newport Pier. I stayed in the downstairs, identical beach house my first year and know the owners (really nice couple) have rented for shorter periods.

Burr White specialized in this sort of rental, so if this one doesn't work out, ask them about any others they might have available. Then come back here and ask about the location.

Tricky part...you may not get an answer right away and it might still be outside your price range (but they may negotiate)...but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask.