We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to rent a vacation rental during the 4th of July, 2012

Taft, California
4 posts
Save Topic
Where to rent a vacation rental during the 4th of July, 2012

Our adult fun family (25 year olds to 50 year olds) would like to rent a home the first week of July 2012 to enjoy the area and of course the 4th of July festivities. We spent some time this year at the Americna Legion and really enjoyed ourselves. Does anyone have a suggestion as to where to rent a home ( perhaps in the area of the American legion?) or other where there wont be alot of college age kids partying to all hours of the night? We like to have fun and party but within limits. Any ideas would be great appreciated. Also, we may want to rent a large boat to travel around the harbor, any ideas as to who rents boats is also appreciated. Thanks,

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to rent a vacation rental during the 4th of July, 2012

For rentals you could check Burr White Realty. They specialize in vacation rentals. It may be too early to get specifics for a year from now but it probably wouldn't hurt to open a dialogue.

Also Cannery Rentals, Villa Rentals and the rental agents for Crystal Cove Cottages. Regarding Crystal Cove, if it's something you would like you should know that they go up for reservation (I think on a quarterly basis) on the internet and they go very, very fast. You have to be ready and have your 'fast fingers' ready that morning. I'm going to include a url for The Beachcomber Restaurant not just because it's a good restaurant but because they have a website that I think describes Crystal Cove very well.

www.burrwhite.com

www.canneryrental.com

www.villarentalsinc.com

www.crystalcovebeachcottages.com

www.reserveamerica.com

www.thebeachcombercafe.com

For boat rentals there is a range of choices since the term 'large' means different things to different people. Duffy Boat Rentals, Balboa Boat Rentals, Marina Boat Rentals and Electrcraft may all be possibilities.

www.duffyofnewportbeach.com

www.boats4rent.com

www.newportbeachboatrentals.com

www.electracraft.com

The good thing is that you have plenty of time to work on this.

Good hunting!

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,362 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to rent a vacation rental during the 4th of July, 2012

Can you clarify what you mean by "the area of the American Legion?" AL is a veterans' organization. Are you trying to get close to their convention location?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,978 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to rent a vacation rental during the 4th of July, 2012

No Cats, they mean the American Legion Hall on 15th St in Newport Beach.

http://www.al291.org/

It is an awesome facility, they sponsor a lot of July 4th activities and a lot of other amazing stuff year round. Come on down when ya want to learn line dancing :)

I would not rent at Crystal Cove because it is so remote for someone wanting to be in the midst of July 4th activities.

Look at Burr White, Villa Rentals and Balboa Newport Realty.

http://burrwhite.com/

http://www.villarentalsinc.com/

http://www.balboanewport.com/

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
216 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to rent a vacation rental during the 4th of July, 2012

As far as location, I think the best balence between being near all of the action, but being far enough away so that your are not emersed in party-zone is probably between 15th street and the Balboa Pier at Main Street.

If you got beyond the Balboa Pier, things start to really quiet down. There is no boardwalk beyond E Street, and there is many fewer apartments, so you get more familys and full-time resident home owners. This results in a slightly less crazy/festive atmphosphere.

Beyond 15th street, you will start to see more partys etc.... Once you get past the Newport Pier, then things really start to heat up. There are more apartments and weekly rentals and that brings a much more crowded, busier feel.

I think the area between 15th street and the Balboa pier strikes a good medium. Enough people out and about, bicylists, tourists, weekly renters, many patios will be filled with people barbequing and the boardwalk will be crowded and the you feel the energy of the holiday, but without the frat-house atmphosphere of the area above the Newport Pier.

Edited: 12:40 pm, July 14, 2011
Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,362 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to rent a vacation rental during the 4th of July, 2012

Thanks for warning me Scott. I detest line dancing.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
216 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to rent a vacation rental during the 4th of July, 2012

How many people do you want to fit on the boat?

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to rent a vacation rental during the 4th of July, 2012

Here are some excerpts from a thread that I posted on about three weeks ago. Someone was interested in renting a house @ 18th St and I happened to be going to dinner very near there so I went by and took a look. IIRC is was a rental from Burr White:

"I looked closely at the 18th St. location last night. You are right on the sand, a five minute walk to the pier, what could be better...."

"I walked across the street and checked out the beach on the harbor side and, while it's not real big it's perfect for a younger child that may be having problems with waves. The water inside the harbor is usually very smooth and peaceful. From the 18th St. house I walked it in about 75 seconds.

Also, the beach at 18th St. is usually less crowded than north of the pier because 1.) the beach is simply wider there than north of the pier and 2.) the closest parking to the sand in the area is north of the pier while south of the pier you have to park on Balboa Blvd. and carry everything in. People, being people, will usually gravitate to the easiest route. LOL

Yesterday, when I was there about 5:30-6:00 PM, there were easily 2-3 times the number of people north of the pier than south of the pier. The weather was beautiful and there was a pretty good crowd at the beach yet, when I walked the area from 18th to the pier, it was very quiet and peaceful---the biggest noise was the roar of the surf. There is also a lifeguard station right there---something that's always good to have around."

"At the pier it's pretty much like many piers in California. Just not the intensity of somewhere like Venice Beach or Santa Cruz. It's got your usual 'Balloon Man', singers, t-shirt shops, and the four basic food goups for kids on vacation---ice cream, cotton candy, corn dogs and more ice cream. LOL It's also got bike rentals, which, with the bike path running in front of that house could be great for burning off some of that energy that the kids have.

If you are renting a 'residence/cottage' I'm assuming that you're going to be cooking in some of the time and you'll need to get groceries at some point or, at least snacks (kids like to eat, when they want to eat, LOL). Within a mile of 18th St. (either 31st or 32nd, I forget) there is a new (within the last month) Pavillions (part of Safeway in case you have their 'rewards' card) that's very nice and very large for a grocery store at the beach."

To read the full thread go here: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g32780-i445-k45802…

Taft, California
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to rent a vacation rental during the 4th of July, 2012

Six to eight.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
216 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to rent a vacation rental during the 4th of July, 2012

With that size group, your perfect option is to rent a Duffy Electric Boat, which is a small, covered boat, that is great for small groups. There is typically a small table to serve food and a fridge. They are electric, so they are silent and easy to cruise around the harbor. They are easy to drive too.

They only go about 5 miles per hour, so you have to stay in the harbor, which is fine because its a large harbor and would take a several hours to go around the entire thing.

There are many places to rent them, and there are a few links in reply #1 to a few of the places. The two best options for your location (near 15th street, or that area) is the Balboa Fun Zone area (on the bay, behind the Balboa Pier). There are two places that rent Duffy's there.

www.boats4rent.com

www.newportbeachboatrentals.com

The bottom link (Marina Boat rentals) I think has a newer boats that might be in better shape and might be better maintained. They might be more expensive too (i don't know the prices).

The top link (U-Drive) is probably cheaper, but I think the boats are not quite as nice. I have noticed, however, that they often have a Groupon or a Living Social deal (2 hours for the price of 1, or something like that). That might be worth it.

Edited: 8:21 pm, July 14, 2011
Taft, California
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to rent a vacation rental during the 4th of July, 2012

Great info. Thank so much,