We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from phoenix to Newport Beach, Ca next Friday

Which Newport Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
pittsburgh
Level Contributor
422 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving from phoenix to Newport Beach, Ca next Friday

Any tips on avoiding as much traffic as possible.

Trip is about 7 hours. We plan on leaving phoenix about 9 am, but that would put us in the newport area at about 4 pm. Not sure if that's the greatest idea. Should we leave the phoenix area later?

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,216 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from phoenix to Newport Beach, Ca next Friday

Most of the trip is thru wide open desert. When you get to 10/60 split near Beaumont take the 60 to the 91. 91 to 55 right into Newport.

At that time of day you will be going against all the traffic leaving town on the 91 and 55,so it should be fairly smooth sailing.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,237 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from phoenix to Newport Beach, Ca next Friday

Use the car pool lane on the 91, but watch for the signs saying 55 after going through the canyon.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,216 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from phoenix to Newport Beach, Ca next Friday

On the 91 make sure you exit the carpool lanes before they turn into the Fastrak prepaid lanes.Those require a transponder and if you get caught in the lanes the ticket is something like $300.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
212 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from phoenix to Newport Beach, Ca next Friday

I agree with #3, don't get stuck in the 91 tollroad lane without a Fastrak transponder. There is no toll booth where you can pay cash. If you don't have a Fastrak transponder and account, you cannot legally drive in the lanes.

You will be going opposite of all of the traffic, both on the 91 and 55 freeways, and you will be arriving prior to rushhour, so you will be fine.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,203 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from phoenix to Newport Beach, Ca next Friday

I have been caught in traffic on the 91 so many times at various hours of the day that I now avoid it like the plague. If you can check a traffic report by cell phone internet or radio and learn that the 91 traffic is heavy, stay on the 60 and take it to the 57. Take 57 to the 5 South and then connect to the 55. It is just a little out of the way but often saves time. Check a map to see how the alternatives work. I recently came back that way from Palm Springs where I attended a conference and when I spoke to my colleagues who used the 91, I beat them by about 30 minutes.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,815 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from phoenix to Newport Beach, Ca next Friday

To avoid as much traffic as possible, leave at 7AM and get into Newport before the Friday crunch hits.

7. Re: Driving from phoenix to Newport Beach, Ca next Friday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 am, October 06, 2012