We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newport v. Balboa Pier Rental Location?

Des Moines
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Newport v. Balboa Pier Rental Location?

I am in process of choosing a rental (vrbo) for a week this summer for my daughter (7) and me. We will use Newport Bch as base for other SoCal activities, plus want beach time. What are the pros/cons of a rental closer to the Newport Bch Pier end (and bayside beach) v. the Balboa Pier end? Any preferences? Thanks!

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newport v. Balboa Pier Rental Location?

Both locations are going to be very busy since the areas around both piers have most of the service venues such as restaurants,and other businesses.

The Balboa Pier is near the funzone and the ferry to Balboa island so maybe for a 7yr old then this would appeal. The beach is the biggest draw for all children.

I prefer to be on the oceanfront side of the pennisula versus the bayside since I like to use the beach. I don't like the baybeaches.

The further down the pennisula then the more time it requires to commute to leave this area. The weekends can be insane with alot of traffic.

The furthest neighborhoods past the Balboa pier are the nicest since they are more residential.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
890 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newport v. Balboa Pier Rental Location?

We've stayed numerous places over the years. The beach is the best west of the Newport Pier. The area between the piers, near the 15th Street has riptides that totally ruins boogie boarding. The closer you get to the Balboa Pier the more weeds and succulents seem to adorn the beach. Although a bit more crowded the area west of the Newport Pier is our favorite. The only full service supermarkets on the peninsula are nearby, which is handy. If you are looking at oceanfront rentals, be aware that the boardwalk ends at 36th Street and the places west of there face sand. We've always had oceanfront rentals so I can't comment on bayside. I am sure that it is quieter over there.

3. Re: Newport v. Balboa Pier Rental Location?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 pm, October 17, 2009