We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need park for family picnic near Newport Coast Villas

Level Contributor
78 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Need park for family picnic near Newport Coast Villas

We are staying at Newport Coast Villas next week. We have family in the area and would like to all get together for a picnic on Sunday. Our group of about 20 ranges in age from 15 to 78. Some of us are more beach people than others. Ideally, I would like to find a park with grassy areas adjacent to a beach, however, I'm not optimistic about finding that. We would like to be able to play some lawn games if at all possible. Do you have any recomendations?

I learned of a park just up the road from the Villas called Coastal Canyon Park, but I can't find any info beyond what I can see on Google Earth. It looks like it may be a sports park.

las vegas
Level Contributor
485 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need park for family picnic near Newport Coast Villas

Your two best bets for a grassy park near the ocean would be either Heisler Park in Laguna Beach, or the grassy area atop the bluffs along Ocean Blvd in Corona del Mar.

I assume Coastal Canyon Park that you refer to is probably the little park on Ridge Park Road just off of Newport Coast Rd. There is another park just beyond that at the corner of Newport Coast and San Joaquin Hills. The two latter parks are up at the top of the hill. Since they are further from the ocean, they will be less crowded, and you might have more room for lawn games.

But all in all, I would probably choose one of the two former parks, which each have wonderful ocean views. Of the two, Heisler was just renovated, so that might be the best choice. It also has picnic facilities, which the Ocean Blvd park does not. However, Heisler will also probably be the most crowded, as it is next to downtown Laguna Beach.

There are picnic tables atop the bluffs across the street from the Newport Coast Villas at Crystal Cove State Park ($10 entrance fee), but there is no grass there, just the natural vegetation.

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need park for family picnic near Newport Coast Villas

It is maybe possible to reserve the picnic area at NCV (firepit area) which has grills, grassy area, ocean view and is adjacent to the putting green, teather ball and playground area. Obviously, you're not on the sand but you could always organize a trip down to the beach for those that want to go either by foot, private vehicle or, possibly, the shuttle bus.

I would call the front desk right away and ask if it's available for a private party for the date and time you would need. They used to do this but I'm not sure if they still do. They may have gotten too large and it is 'high season' at NCV at this time.

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need park for family picnic near Newport Coast Villas

Definetly try Heisler Park in Laguna Beach (about 3-4 miles south of Newport Coast Villas). There is a section appropriately named Picnic Beach with lots of picnic tables, restrooms close by and a short walk down a ramp to the beach. Be aware however that the picnic tables are naturally very popular and are on a first come, first serve basis. It probaly would be worth it to have a volunteer of your group get there earily to grab a table and set your stuff up.

4. Re: Need park for family picnic near Newport Coast Villas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, October 02, 2009