We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Godl Country Trip - Aug 2006

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Godl Country Trip - Aug 2006

We are planning a family vacation (an 8 year old boy and 5 year old girl & a baby) and are driving up to Nevada City for 3 days and then down to Murphy's for a few days and then home. What I have so far - and please let me knwo what I should consider adding or what is not worht it.

Hotel Nevada City: Northern Queen Inn

Spend the next couple of days in Nevada City, Grass Valley and Bridgeport. What are some must sees or good river swimming and fishing spots?

We are then heading south tho Murphys stopping for the day in Placerville & Coloma.

Hotel in Murphys: Murphys Suite

Plan to visit two caverns - which are the best and Ironside Vineyard. We have been to Sequiao NP a few years ago - how do the big trees near Murphys compare? Worht a visit?

Also looking for good place to eat in all cities for all meals (no fast food please - my kids like adult food and are very well behaved at restaruants). Thanks a million.

Mentioned in this post
Nevada City
Nevada City
California
Northern Queen Inn
Northern Queen Inn
134 Reviews
Nevada City, CA
Grass Valley
Grass Valley
California
Placerville
Placerville
California
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
29,596 posts
6,186 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Godl Country Trip - Aug 2006

Sounds fun...

Bridgeport - For fishing drive out about 11 miles to Twin Lakes.

We usually go to the 2nd lake you will find and fish at the end or along the shore. We've limited out several times there and its pretty area. There is also a store there.....and also a place to rent boats if you want to go out on the lake.

Coloma - Be sure to go to Sutter's Mill. Great place to enjoy a picnic lunch and you can go fishing there too. There are som historic buildings and musems here to wander through which is also fun. It can get warm there in the summer. Lake Folsom (about 30-40 minute drive) is a good place also to visit.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=484

American River has some swimming places also, but not that family friendly for your age. Its more for older children - but you'll see people swimming here or there. It really depends in part on the water level come August.

For caverns, we like Mercer Caverns

http://www.mercercaverns.com/

Ironstones is a great place to plan on lunch (they have a nice lunch counter there and places to eat. There is a "toy area" where your family can play with some toys there while you trade off wine tasting. The gold nugget at the museum there is really neat.

We really like Calveras Big Trees State Park and in many ways prefer it to Sequoia National Park. http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=551 The area has some really spectacular trees in a pretty easy "nature walk" type trail. Your family will enjoy it (i.e. I vsiited there when I was 5 and had a great time; and have enjoyed many trips since then.)

Do try to plan some time in Columbia (you can take the family on a stage coach ride....its a fun small old west town). There is also a railroad that goes out of Jamestown.

http://www.csrmf.org/railtown/default.asp

Abour 45 minutes out of Sonora (driving back into the mountains) is Pinecrest Lake which has a family friendly swimming area and fishing areas. Good place for picnics (they have a store there also which serves meals outside on the deck which is nice on a warm day.). fs.fed.us/r5/…pinecrest.shtml

In Bridgeport, do stop at Jolly Cone for ice cream. They have the absolute best and we make a point of going there to enjoy.

Good lunch spot. For dinner, several cafes in town. All in all most of them have about the same fair and quality. so choose a place.

There is a small restaurant also at Twin Lakes (we've eaten lunch there several times)....nothing special; but it is a close walk from the lake.

enjoy your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Folsom
Folsom
California
Sonora
Sonora
California
Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Godl Country Trip - Aug 2006

Mini - thank you for all the great info - you are always a wealth of knowledge. We were in Jamestown and Colombia last year after visiting San Fran and the kids loved it and dh got gold fever :) so we want to see more. They will be excited to here about twin lakes and I think I will definately add the big trees into our itinerary!

3. Re: Godl Country Trip - Aug 2006

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, August 16, 2009