We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting nevada city/grass valley 6/4

Which Nevada City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pecos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
334 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
visiting nevada city/grass valley 6/4

Hi,

We are visiting this area for 4 or 5 days soon. Looks beautiful we can't wait. We are going to stay at the Best Western in G.V. because they are pet friendly and the price is right. We are looking for advice on favorite restaurants in both towns. Doesn't have to be fancy. A place to kick back and enjoy a drink or two in the evening would be great. We have been to Lone Pine, Ca and Prescott, AZ recently and got great advice from the respective forums regarding favorite local eats. Loved both of those towns. Also, we are hoping to do a little gold panning while in the area. We don't expect to "strike it rich" we just enjoy the activity and it is a good excuse to be outside enjoy nature and maybe a cold beer! Any spots you can reccomend? And finally, we are traveling with 2 small dogs and while my husband pans I like to do a little hiking/exploring with the pooches. Any "don't miss sights or scenic drives? Thanks in advance for all your help. I bet it is refreshing to get an inquiry that is actaully directed to your area rather than L.A. :)

Karen

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,423 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting nevada city/grass valley 6/4

I wouldn't miss the National Hotel or Nevada City Classic Cafe in Nevada City. The cafe has great breakfasts and the National Hotel is one of the oldest hotels in CA, very cool.

If you like wine, you might stop by the Nevada City Winery to check out what they do.

As for what to do, it depends on far down the 49er Highway you want to go. I would certainly go as far as Sutter's Mill, but I would probably go even further down to places like Plymouth, Jackson and Mokelumne Hill. If you belong to AAA they have a great book on the Gold Country. There are great cafes up and down Highway 49.

http://www.historichwy49.com/mainmap.html

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting nevada city/grass valley 6/4

This area has terrific wine. If you go to Nevada City winery, ask for a map of the local tasting rooms. The Barbera in this area is terrific.

Pecos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
334 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting nevada city/grass valley 6/4

Thank you both for your replies. We want to see as much of the area as possible and we love road trips so we will certainly go beyond the immediate area. We do belong to AAA so I will pick up that book. Any areas in particular on 49 that you love? Any advice on spots to pan? Thanks again

4. Re: visiting nevada city/grass valley 6/4

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:23 am, November 24, 2010