We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to do for 2 days in Grass Valley & Nevada City?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
20 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
what to do for 2 days in Grass Valley & Nevada City?

My friend and I will be driving from San Francisco on Monday 4/6 to Grass Valley. We plan to explore these 2 cities because we are history lovers. We would appreciate any suggestions for itinerary and dining suggestions. We also plan to do some hiking too, however, I checked the weather forecast and it might rain on Tuesday 4/7. Thank you for any suggestions.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,068 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to do for 2 days in Grass Valley & Nevada City?

Grass Valley:

Empire Mine State Historic Park

North Star Mining Museum

Nevada City:

Get the walking tour from the Chamber of Commerce on Main Street.

Malakoff Diggins State Historic Park, but this is 26 miles ne, the last mile unpaved, if you are up for that.

Miners Foundry Cultural Center.

(In fact go also to the Chamber of Commerce in Grass Valley for ideas and possible maps.)

Don't forget the restored historic section of Auburn, with the Gold Country Museum and the gorgeous restored 1898 courthouse which sits on a hill with its beautiful dome.

Inside you will find and American Indian habitat and the Pate Native American Collection with more than 400 American Indian artifacts from around the county.

For restaurants, in Grass Valley, the Holbrooke Hotel Dining restaurant has a good menu, and courtyard dining if the weather is good.

In Nevada City try Cirino's Restaurant which has been there forever and has photographs of the city on the walls.

Have a fun trip.

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to do for 2 days in Grass Valley & Nevada City?

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i12008-Gold_Cou…

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
20 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to do for 2 days in Grass Valley & Nevada City?

Thank you both for your suggestions. We are looking forward to our trip tomorrow. Will let you know how much fun we would have.

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
676 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to do for 2 days in Grass Valley & Nevada City?

I called about the train ride at/near the Northern Queen Inn today...via automated phone message..."trains are shut down because of economical reasons..."

it does continue to say that in May they will have walking tours...

just an fyi

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what to do for 2 days in Grass Valley & Nevada City?

that's to bad - updating my list with that info.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
20 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what to do for 2 days in Grass Valley & Nevada City?

Hello,

Just returned from our trip to GV/Nevada City. It was very relaxing. We didn't hit alot of the places you suggested because due to an emergency, we couldn't leave SF till late on Monday afternoon. We had a great time strolling the historic section of both towns, had great dinners at Villa Venezia, across from our hotel, Holiday inn express, and dinner at Cirino's. We had lunch at the South Pine Cafe in Nevada City and it was yummy. You were right, the food was great and the ambiance was wonderful. We had a wonderful time browsing the shops, especially looking at tea sets because I am crazy about them. We did some hiking in GV...went to Bridgeport to see the covered bridge and Yuba River. Tuesday and today was rainy and cold we we went to Sacramento for part of the day on our way home. All in all, it was a good trip. We didn't go to Auburn because we went there a while back. However, we do plan to visit Carson City & Virginia City in the future and other towns along south 49. Any suggestions?

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
676 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what to do for 2 days in Grass Valley & Nevada City?

As for Carson City, you must go to Red's Old 395 Grill...it's the stuff hanging from the ceiling and the train engine that kinda make this place a destination in it's self...also when we were there(July) they had a magician that walked around and did tricks at your table...very fun.

Virgina City...is totally cool...you really just have to walk around and experience it for yourself.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
78 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what to do for 2 days in Grass Valley & Nevada City?

Hi there. Just read your post. We will be a large group (!3!) going through Grass Valley for the 4th of july. Which was better- Grass Valley or Nevada City or are they the same?

We hear the 4th of July parade is good & the county fair too. I am hoping that's true because there are a lot of people to entertain!

We will be looking for very inexpensive places to eat...kind of Ihop-like. Any ideas?

Thanks for any tips you can give.

9. Re: what to do for 2 days in Grass Valley & Nevada City?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:31 am, December 04, 2009