We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

small wineries - low production - great wine

Which Napa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
College Station...
9 posts
Save Topic
small wineries - low production - great wine

I'm looking for a few (or a lot) recommendations for places that are family run, small wineries that produce great wine in low quantities. Basically we're hoping to visit a few places that we can't find their wine in Texas. Any recommendations??? Thank you for your input.

Level Contributor
34,520 posts
890 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: small wineries - low production - great wine

Hi! We recently had the pleasure of discovering some really nice wines in the Suisun Valley area. Vezer was one of our favorites. Very good quality wines and personable service. Blue Victorian is another nice one in this area. Have fun! :)

St. Helena...
Destination Expert
for Napa Valley
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: small wineries - low production - great wine

There are 450+ wineries in Napa Valley, many are small, family-owned operations with limited production.

How would we know what wines you can or cannot get in Texas?

Sure, someone could post a suggestion or two, totally randomly. Is that the kind of feedback you're looking for ... random suggestions that may or may not be relevant?

Try re-stating your question after having done at least a bit of research on your own.

College Station...
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: small wineries - low production - great wine

ok how's this NanciInNapa?

I have done my research and currently have the following reservations booked.

Silver Oak, Alpha Omega, Caymus, Redmon, Nickel & Nickel, Venge, Vineyard 7 & 8, Cakebread, and Krupp Brothers

I understand there are 450+ wineries in Napa Valley... just looking to mix it up a little so that we can see a few smaller wineries that are not as well known, but still as good if not better.

If you don't want to give your opinion because my question is too broad - that's okay - don't. I'm open to everyone's opinion on the wines and wineries they like, and have done my research. Just looking for a few more opinions before we finalize everything.

No need to get your panties in a wad. Take a deep breath, relax, and go be rude on someone else's thread.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: small wineries - low production - great wine

Nanci wasn't being rude nor did she have anything in a bind. What you asked was very subjective, and you seem to want an objective answer. Keep in mind that a reasonable limit to visit each day is 3 wineries. Any more and you'll have had too much wine, your palate will be "wined out", you won't be able to enjoy the wineries, and your driving will be impaired. You have reservations for 9 wineries. So, my recommendayion: Use Yelp and Google to find reviews on each one. We don't know anything about Texas wineries, so we can't compare, but you do? So, after researching each California winery and comparing it to Texas wineries, narrow your choice down to 3 and just go for it. Enjoy your selves, and most of all, have fun! Chuck.

College Station...
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: small wineries - low production - great wine

Thanks BlackBelt4dan, and I didn't mean any disrespect to Nanci. And sorry Nanci if my response was a little harsh. It just seemed a little rude from my point of view, but I could have misunderstood. I made a post a few days ago asking a similar question and Nanci was very helpful.

We will be staying for three days, and will be on pace for 3-4 wineries a day (with a driver). I was just looking for some extra opinions on how to make our trip better by finding some wines that are small and not well known - ANY recommendations would be appreciated. We really like cabs if that helps.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: small wineries - low production - great wine

Crocker & Starr http://www.crockerstarr.com/

Anomaly Vineyards http://anomalyvineyards.com

T-Vine Cellars http://www.tvinecellars.com

For some bigger production and wonderful juice, there is

Duckhorn http://www.duckhorn.com/

Jarvis (PS--the cave tour is cool) http://www.jarviswines.com/

Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: small wineries - low production - great wine

We really loved Chase Vineyards and Failla Winery. Both small, family run wineries with great wines and delightful people.

College Station...
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: small wineries - low production - great wine

Great suggestions! Thank you!

Houston
Level Contributor
217 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: small wineries - low production - great wine

Hi grant - I would second the suggestions of Chase and T-vine. We have visited Chase many times and it's always a wonderful experience. I haven't been to to the newly opened T-vine tasting room, but we had the pleasure of tasting their wines at an old winery building on Regusci's property two years ago. Came home with a case :)

Keep in mind that frequently you will find wines at the winery or tasting room that we can't get here in Texas, even if we can get some of that winery's larger production wines. For example, you might see an occasional Cakebread on the shelf at Spec's, but their higher end wine will never make it there. (In fact, I've been told that certain Spec's don't ever put Cakebread out - they just call the customers on the list, and it's all sold before anyone else knows it there!) So any of the places you visit, just ask them which wines we can get at Spec's and which aren't really available outside of CA - everyplace I've visited, they've known or can find out pretty quickly which wines I'd better take with me.

Enjoy your trip! We visited Nickel & Nickel last October and really enjoyed the tour and tasting - even got to chat with their winemaker as she wandered by - and that is always fun.

Oh! I just thought of another great place - Madrigal! It's not far from T-Vine, so maybe consider making an appointment there, too. Chris Madrigal is a hoot and if he is around, I would hope you'd get a chance to talk to him - it's always a treat.

College Station...
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: small wineries - low production - great wine

Thanks again! Great point on the reserves Trish! I didn't think of that. I think we're going to try Chase and maybe Anomaly Vineyards.

Any opinions on Redmon or Venge? I've heard good things about both.