We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre-wedding gathering in / near Calistoga

Chattanooga, TN
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Pre-wedding gathering in / near Calistoga

Hello all, would appreciate your input. My best friend is getting married this Sept. at Hans Fahden Vineyard. I'm planning a gathering for female family and friends a few nights prior to the wedding -- not a wild bachelorette party, more just a laid-back social time for the ladies. Everyone is staying in or near Calistoga (mostly Mount View Hotel or Calistoga Spa and Hot Springs Hotel).

Any suggestions for location? It will be about 15-20 ladies, depending on who's in town at that time. Thinking wine and heavy hors d'oeuvres. The bride suggested aubergedusoleil.com/napa-dining/bistro-and-b…

but it's a 20 min. drive and I'm worried about having enough drivers (and such a long drive back after the event!).

Are there bars or restaurants (or hotels?) in or near Calistoga where we could reserve a big table or a private room? Any thoughts appreciated!

Nevada
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre-wedding gathering in / near Calistoga

Hi,

You asked for some thoughts about this function . . . actually, I am recently retired having spent my last 10-12 years as a B&B owner manager at a very small inn -- a different venue from what you are considering but I do have some thoughts to get you off to a good start. Before having my own place I worked at larger inns.

I realize that you might already have thoughts about this function, but because you mentioned either reserving a large table or reserving a room, I am going out on a limb so-to-speak and give you some things for you to to consider before you contact venues. Please forgive me if this post is out of line as my only intention is to be of help.

First, I would suggest that as a *bench mark* that you contact the establishment in Napa that the bride suggested. Have your list of questions ready. Actually, have a spreadsheet set up so you ask the same questions of each place you will be contacting. Then you will be able to make better comparisons knowing that each venue will have slightly, or more than slightly, different services. And different prices. But at least you can compare notes and will not forget anything. Ask for how long the room can be rented, price per person for heavy hors dourves, and what exactly do you mean by *heavy*. Give examples, such as chicken wings, BBQ meatballs, or other examples. Is anyone in your group vegetarian, or vegan. What are some *heavy* vegetarian or vegan hors dourves that you have in mind, if applicable. Beverages? Alcoholic will cost more than staying with non-alcoholic drinks. Other questions will come up -- these are only starter questions. You mentioned wine -- in California wine is considered an alcoholic drink.

Be prepared, or volunteer, what the party time will consist of -- reception time, opening gifts if applicable, any need for a table top podium or other type of podium, what kind of decorations will there be, any delivery of flowers, how much time will be needed for *set up* or *getting organized* or *placing flowers on tables* before people show up.

Second, I would suggest that you ask for a private room, rather than asking to reserve a large table. Asking for a private room says to the establishment that you understand the dynamics of a get-together for 20 or so people at the hotel, or the restaurant or bar. A private room is, well, private and by that I mean it is away from other guests. Asking for a private room (as opposed to reserving a large table) will in all liklihood -- and this is a big key factor -- I think it will gain you better responses -- *Yes, we can do that!* as opposed to *Sorry, no.* I might not have made my point very clear here -- it's because I don't know how to communicate this approach to a guest/customer/you.

But again, start with the venue the bride mentioned. This also gives you an idea of what she has in mind.

I do not know of any venues in Calistoga. It's been awhile since I was over there to look around and I have been out of the industry for a couple of years already so I don't have any networking contacts in Calistoga.

Doing an on-line search, here is one venue in Calistoga that you might contact:

Wine Way Inn is the perfect place for romantic getaways, birthday, honeymoon and anniversary celebrations Go to www.winewayinn.com

There are no doubt, other venues.

Hope this is of help to you. Have fun!

St. Helena...
Destination Expert
for Napa Valley
Level Contributor
1,611 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre-wedding gathering in / near Calistoga

Look into Solage Calistoga and Calistoga Ranch. Whatever you choose, book ASAP.

www.solagecalistoga.com/

www.calistogaranch.com/

3. Re: Pre-wedding gathering in / near Calistoga

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 25, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Napa