We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best wineries for very large group

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Topic
Best wineries for very large group

Coming to Napa in a month for big birthday celebration. I'm so honored to have about 25 friends who will come to help me celebrate. What are the best 4 wineries in Napa for a group of this size?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,520 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best wineries for very large group

I would suggest the wineries that require appointments, and there are many of them. You may need to provide a little bit more info. Are you just interested in tastings? Do you want tours? Are most of your group new to wine? Do you prefer scenery over quality? How much would you like to spend per person for tastings?

With a group of your size, I would limit your visit to 3 wineries. One in the morning (say 10 am), another at 12 pm with a picnic lunch, and a third at 3 pm. Tours may take a bit longer although tastings with 25 people will probably take as much time. You also need to consider the time to travel from one winery to another especially if people are traveling in multiple vehicles.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
28,420 posts
6,007 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best wineries for very large group

Do contact the winery in advance for a reservation and letting them know you are bringing a larger party.

For a couple of wineries to consider:

Round Pond - You can arrange a walk around tasting of 4 of their wines and olive oil. They will also provide some appetizers to pair with the wine if you book their walk around tasting for a group. They need 48 hours. This winery is private so it makes for a good one to take a group. The views of the valley are very nice from here. and their cook is great (so their appetizers have always been very yummy).

www.roundpond.com/private-dinners-events/

Del Dotto - your group will probably be split into a couple of groups but this is a very fun place to do barrel tasting. they take the group and let you taste several wines from the barrel - its a great place for this.

deldottovineyards.com/Del-Dotto-Caves.aspx

Clos Du Val - this place also will work with you for a group tasting for your group. let them know what you'd like. they have cabanas etc,

http://www.closduval.com/toursandtastings.php

for a group lunch picnic at a winery, work with Rutherford Hill for a very nice picnic ground with views.]

www.rutherfordhill.com/basic_template.asp…

There are others - have fun planning your group event.

Edited: 6:45 pm, July 04, 2013
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best wineries for very large group

We are traveling by tour bus. Most enjoy both reds and whites and tasting fees are not an issue. Want beautiful scenery, good wine but realize we can't do serious tastings with a group of this size.

St. Helena...
Destination Expert
for Napa Valley
Level Contributor
1,611 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best wineries for very large group

In general, Napa Valley tasting rooms are not set up for a group of this size without prior arrangements. Some welcome large groups, most don't. The more commercial wineries that typically welcome large tour buses are suitable for your event.

Highly recommend that you contact the "group sales" person at the wineries you're interested in to ensure your group is handled in a way that is satisfactory to both you and the winery.

Since you're traveling on a tour bus, ask the tour company to make the arrangements for you.

Edited: 11:19 pm, July 04, 2013
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
28,420 posts
6,007 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best wineries for very large group

If you are on a tour bus, ask your tour guide -

florida
Level Contributor
78 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best wineries for very large group

love , love,love round pond...we did a tasting outside and the view was amazing! Highly recommend visiting here!

Phoenix, AZ
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Best wineries for very large group

How did your trip turn out? I'm planning one in March 2014 with about 20-25 people. We're planning on staying in San Fran and taking a party bus of some sort for a day to Napa. Any suggestions?

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best wineries for very large group

How did your March trip turn out? I am planning one for Sept. What wineries did you select and what party bus company did you choose? Thanks!

Napa
Level Contributor
2,485 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best wineries for very large group

I've had groups that large and went to Bell Winery. You can do a nice tasting and play Bocce- but you need an appointment. Tasting fee is $20-firm.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best wineries for very large group

Chandon, Mondovi (not the best wine) are two. Napa isn't too friendly on groups and you need to prepare for restaurant rejection. Make reservations before...and plan. I know from experience. Have fun!

Get answers to your questions about Napa