We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day.....6 people

Missouri
Level Contributor
206 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
One day.....6 people

We (myself, my husband and 4 kids---over 21 yo) are staying in SF for 5 days. Renting a car on Monday, driving to Sonoma, Napa Valley and back in the same day. Thinking of trying to stop at Muir Woods either coming or going. We will leave at 8:00 am. I have mapped out a couple of routes on google maps. None of us are big wine drinkers, we would just like to do a scenic drive, tour a winery, have lunch and dinner and an enjoyable day. I am open to any and all suggestions for a route, winery and meals. I am reading the forums, reviews and suggestions but would just like to hear opinions!

Thanks~

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,341 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day.....6 people

Did you check the top questions Puter has a great itinerary that includes the Sonoma coast , Armstrong redwoods and the Sonoma wine county which you may find interesting. I am on a mobile so cannot paste the link. It is a fun drive and you can end up in downtown Sonoma which has good restaurants

Sorry that TQ is on the San Francisco forum

But if you do want to do Napa Valley by all means go through Carneros and Napa and Yountville all the way to Calistoga and loop back on the Silverado trail. Book a wine tour such as Mondavi which is quite good and do see Muir before you go there

Edited: 2:24 pm, June 20, 2013
Missouri
Level Contributor
206 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day.....6 people

I am thinking that I am just going to have you hang out with us all 5 days!!! I did check on the baseball games btw and couldn't get cheap seats for all 6 of us together on the day we could go. SO, I am listening to you but didn't realize I could ask you a question about this area also ;).

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,341 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day.....6 people

Sorry with so many posts I don't remember But if it is Thursday it must be Napa :-). One of our fav places to visit not just for the wine but to relax and eat. With kids we don't hang out in wineries but do other things such as bike rides, hot air balloon ride and go to Sterling winery which is fun for kids

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,537 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day.....6 people

ashbris - when are you visiting? If it's soon, you do have the option of going to Muir Woods in the late afternoon on your way back to SF. This would also allow you to stop at the Golden Gate Bridge viewpoints in the Marin Headlands late in the day when the sun is best and there's less chance of fog. Then you could have dinner in Sausalito. A fun tour that your kids may enjoy since they are over 21 is the tram tour at Benziger Winery:

http://www.benziger.com/

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,236 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day.....6 people

Here is a link to Puter's day trip to the wine country which includes a drive along the coast and a visit to a much better redwood park than Muir Woods....no buses, no crowds. It goes through the Sonoma Valley with a suggestion for the Benziger tram tour mentioned above and ends, unless you want a second day, in the historic town of Sonoma, established during Mexican rule in the early 1800's.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60713-c139373/San-Fr…

Missouri
Level Contributor
206 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day.....6 people

Thanks everyone! I think we will do the Day Trip North as many have suggested and hit the Benziger Winery. Hopefully we can incorporate the Marin Headlands on the way home as suggested! It was also on my to do list. I really appreciate all the suggestions!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,236 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day.....6 people

Hi, ashbris,

I just sent you a private message with the mileage between places mentioned in the trip. I suggest you call ahead to Benziger. You can probably do that on the road, but you will want to be sure there is a tour leaving when you want it. Don't miss poking around the historic town of Sonoma and if you want to have dinner before you go back to the city there are several well thought of restaurants around the Sonoma Plaza.

8. Re: One day.....6 people

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 05, 2014