We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help with Hotel Choice

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,800 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Please help with Hotel Choice

Hi, I have a few days free in San Francisco and I was thinking of visiting Napa Valley. My dates are 15-17 July.

I have booked my first night in Sheraton Sonoma in Petaluma (15 night). I booked it primarily because I have spg platinum (extra benefits, and trying to earn nights to requalify).

I was wondering if it would make sense to stay my second night in the Sheraton, or maybe stay at Hilton Garden Inn Napa (I have HH Gold) which has a rate of $186 vs the Sheraton of $159

Thanks in advance for the replies

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,479 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help with Hotel Choice

Well, Petaluma is not wine country and it is not in the Napa Valley.

If you want to visit the Napa Valley I would stay in the Napa Valley both nights. It is about 30 miles from Petaluma to Napa and then the Napa Valley goes 29 miles north of there.

In my experience, sometimes hotel points get in the way of a reasonable vacation location. <shrug>

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,800 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help with Hotel Choice

Totally agree. No wonder its so much cheaper...

How far is it to the Sonoma tourist areas? (Petaluma I mean..)

Thanks for your quick response.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,675 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help with Hotel Choice

This is the Napa forum. If you want to visit the Napa Valley, it's best to stay in the Napa Valley. Some people find that staying in Petaluma or Novato will be cheaper and will also be closer to other attractions such as the Marin or Sonoma Coast, San Francisco, the Russian River, etc. That's all fine and good but if your primary focus is the Napa Valley, then spending a lot of time on the highway each morning and evening may not be the most pleasant way to enjoy your vacation.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,800 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help with Hotel Choice

Hi All, thanks for the clarification. I will see whats avaliable in Napa Valley.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help with Hotel Choice

Suggestion: Call the Napa Valley Welcome Center at (855) 333-6272. The Welcome Center concierge checks in with all the Napa Valley lodging properties every day for best rates, and can set you up with a great place to stay at the best price. There is no charge for this service.

Palos Verdes...
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help with Hotel Choice

We are spg platinum members and have stayed at the Westin Verasa in downtown Napa that was very nice. Also got a good deal at the Napa River Inn next door. Both are in a good downtown location and easy drive to the wineries. Like the other posters said, Petaluma is not wine country and I think you will be very disappointed if you stay there!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help with Hotel Choice

Do not stay in Petaluma.

Find a convenient hotel in Napa and enjoy your 2 days in the wine country.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,800 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help with Hotel Choice

Thanks. I have decided not to stay in Petaluma. I will try to find something else with a good rate. Maybe the Hilton Garden or the Westin. Thanks

9. Re: Please help with Hotel Choice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 25, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Napa