We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for quick 1-day Napa Valley tour?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for quick 1-day Napa Valley tour?

My wife and I are taking a day trip from SF to Napa and we'd welcome any good recommendations for a couple good tasting locations between St. Helena and Rutherford that won't require reservations this Friday. Here's our plan so far, but have so many blanks for fill!

10AM – land in Oakland and rent a car to drive straight to Napa Valley (I’m assuming we can be in NV around 11:30ish)

Noon-1PM – Domaine Chandon for a tasting

1:30-2:30 – Lunch in St. Helena (any recommendations??)

2:30-3:00 – Need run a quick errand in St. Helena (Napa Valley Soap Co.)

3:00-4:00 – Any recommendations for a good red??

4:15-5:15 – Any recommendations for a good white?

We’ll probably want to head back to SF after the 3rd tasting and check into our hotel.

Any help you can provide will be appreciated!!

St. Helena...
Destination Expert
for Napa Valley
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for quick 1-day Napa Valley tour?

hi paydawg - take a look at this winery map, note the black dots are tasting rooms open to the public (not needing an appt). There are many options between Chandon in Yountville and St. Helena for both white and red wine tasting. Can you pick out a short list from this map to narrow it down so we can provide better recommendations?

napavalley.com/maps/Napa_Valley_Winery_Map.p…

re: lunch, Rutherford Grill is right in the middle of your target zone, that would be my first choice

Edited: 1:43 pm, June 05, 2013
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,952 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for quick 1-day Napa Valley tour?

You might also consider lunch at Domaine Chandon... one of the few wineries with a restaurant, and it's definitely a really good restaurant (also a nice garden setting).

If you like champagne, you could end the day at Domaine Carneros, between the Napa and Sonoma Valleys.

If you come back to SF across the GG Bridge, be sure to either arrange for a Toll Pass from your rental car company, or pre-pay the bridge toll online (cheaper). You'll need to know the car's license plate number to pre-pay; then go to bayareafastrak.org/vector/…OTPsignup.shtml

Edited: 3:14 pm, June 05, 2013
3. Re: Suggestions for quick 1-day Napa Valley tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 07, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Napa