We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Comments

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
109 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Comments

This is our first trip to Napa. we thought we would take a guided tour each morning and stop in for tastings and touring the towns of yountville, St. helena and Calistoga. We're not sure if our plans are reasonable but aside from the tours, the only reserved tasting is at Cakebread. Friends have recommended pride mountain's tour - but which of the two schedule tours , if any, would you recommend we change? Other wineries suggested are Quintessa, Swanson and Schramsberg but can't do all. We welcome suggestions.

Day 1

11 am- arrive SFO-pick-up rental

1- sausalito- Trident-outside table

3- Artesa winery-tasting

4:30- Domain Caneros- self-tour

6- check in to the meritage for one nite

8- Dinner at Oenotri via hotel's shuttle to Napa

Day 2-

10-am Robert Mondavi-signature tour (1hour,15 min)

12-Picnic at RM winery with lunch from Oakville Grocery (picked up before RM)-or suggest picnic

1- Cakebread tasting- reserved time

2- Frog's Leap tasting

3- Domaine Chandon or Maisonry- which one?

4- check into yountville hotel

8:45 Bottega dinner

Day3

10-12 Castello Di Amorosa tour and tasting

12- clos Pegase winery-walk-in

1:30 St Helena Olive Company

2- Lunch at Gott's roadhouse

Possible stop at Rubicon

4- Mumm - silverado trail

6-back to hotel for break (yountville hotel)

8-dinner at Redd

Day 4

brunch at hotel- relax at hotel

our flight isn't until 5:45 but we thought we'd go standby at 3:45 and get dinner in San Diego

-depart to airport for flight to san diego - wish we had time to drive the coast

Napa
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Itinerary Comments

As mentioned earlier, Artesa is a great spot to visit. The views there are outstanding, and the wines are very good as well. It's really one of my favorite spots in the Valley.

Also, if you're looking to maximize exposure to a lot of quality wines, I'd check out Ma(i)sonry in Yountville. They have 19 vintners under one roof. It's a great place to relax, and they have some great outdoor seating/lounging areas. Very low key, and they feature lots of all-star winemakers. I don't think you can find a better collection of wines in one spot. Check them out http://www.maisonry.com

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,486 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Itinerary Comments

"We are open to length of stay but only have about 1,500 outside of flights"

jmparker - No idea what question you are asking. It's best to start a new thread. This one is old and the Op has finished their journey.

Oak Ridge, Tennessee
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Itinerary Comments

How was your trip?

Having just returned from a three day trip to Napa, I just want to post my thoughts and our itinerary because I found others having done so was so helpful to me. This may or may not be your ideal, but because there are so many wineries and so little time, I have to say we actually liked most we visited. Also, our itinerary was planned more by what was geographically desirable, but it turned out fine for us since we like both red and white wines. Here is what we did by day. Note that we were staying in the the Vino Bello Resort (The Meritage) which is at the south end of Napa and it was Memorial Day weekend. On our way in to Napa we had time to make our first stop Domain Carneros and shared a seated, sparkling flight at about 4:30 pm. It was delightful but kind of crowded. Dinner was at Gott's in Napa for a wonderful burger.

Day One: started the morning at The Model Bakery with a shared English muffin sandwich and two perfect white chocolate mochas. First winery stop was the $25/person Robert Mondavi tour which was a great way to learn about wine making and tasting to start our Napa journey. Then it was up the street to Grgich because I had to taste some wine made by the winner of the '76 Judgement of Paris tasting (watch the movie Bottle Shock - although he's not mentioned). It was rather pub-like in the tasting room but enjoyable and came away with a bottle of the Grgich 2010 Paris Tasting Chardonnay. Then to the Rutherford Grill for lunch because we couldn't get dinner reservations, but had made a lunch reservation. It was crowed but very good. Stopped at the Oakville Grocery for picnic items to actually have for dinner at the resort later. Then is was back to the Carneros region to Artesa to finish up the day. Turns out it was their busiest day in five years, but we still enjoyed the generous pours and walked away with two bottles. Are you bored yet?

Day Two: to The Model Bakery again because we couldn't get enough and started the day at Darioush - not for the wine (to pricey for us) but heard their pistachios we amazing so stopped in for a bag and some photos. Then it was up to our favorite tasting of the trip - Frog's Leap. Not necessarily because it was the best wine (but we purchased some because we like it) but because it was about 11:15 am, perfect, cool weather and a lovely seated tasting in a beautiful garden setting. Then it was a short drive for a reservation at 12:30 for an olive oil tasting at Round Pond. Again, a highlight of the day and had enough food to qualify as lunch. Not to be missed in my opinion for for a change of pace from wine tasting. Afterwards it was off to Paraduxx for a 2:30p reserved tasting which was wonderful. Husband loved it so much we should be getting our case in about a week! No time for my next stop - Goose Cross so can't comment on that. Early dinner was at Mustard's Grill and we ended our day at Vino Bello Resort with a stroll through their vineyard.

Day Three: Booked a Platypus Wine Tour and so glad we did. Karl picked us up at 10 am at the resort and took us and five other couples to some wonderful, small vineyards that we would have missed. Appointment only places so we felt like VIP's when Karl walked us through barrel rooms and vineyards. Karl was so knowledgeable and funny we knew it would be our best day . . . and it was. An already long story short, he took us to Turnbull, Hill Wine Co, Casa Nuestra and Dutch Henry. Karl made us a wonderful picnic lunch which we enjoyed at the Hill Wine Co. and we even got to meet the owners and their new black lab pup. It was a great way for both my husband and I to taste a little more (since we each took a day to be the DD) and a wonderful way to make new friends and enjoy our 25th anniversary. In fact, we actually cancelled a reservation for Cole's Chop House and we both agreed on an In-and-Out burger for our anniversary dinner. Our day had been that good . . . and that expensive since we had joined a few clubs along the way. :-) BTW, Karl/Platypus also had shipping boxes for $10/ea (if you wanted) to store our purchases which we checked as baggage for our trip home.

So, this may be an unorthodox way to do three days in Napa and I'm sure we missed some great wineries, but again, it worked for us. Also, it seems simple, but it took a lot of planning hours. My suggestion would be that if there is a restaurant you are SURE you want to enjoy, make the reservation way in advance of your trip. You can always cancel. That goes for the wineries as well - just be aware of their cancellation policy. No matter what you plan, I just don't see going wrong. Even if you try a wine you don't like . . . at least you'll know. Also, I may have 'planned' too much, but that's how I like trips. I'm sure just dropping in to a winery with no plan would be lots of fun too . . . maybe more.

Edited: 8:21 pm, May 30, 2013
St. Helena...
Destination Expert
for Napa Valley
Level Contributor
1,538 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Itinerary Comments

hi kaboos123 - what a wonderful trip report! I think it deserves it's own thread. Would you mind re-posting as a Trip Report, where more readers can benefit from your review? Thanks!

15. Re: Itinerary Comments

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 01, 2014