We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Redwoods between Tahoe and Napa Valley

Which Napa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
1 post
Save Topic
Redwoods between Tahoe and Napa Valley

I am going Tahoe for two days, then Napa Valley for two days then San Fran for one day for a vacation in May. Any suggestions of where I can see some Redwoods on my drive from South Lake Tahoe to Napa without taking too much of a detour? Are there any in El Dorado Nat'l Forest?

Also, what wineries and other things to do would you recommend in Napa Valley?

Thanks!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,429 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Redwoods between Tahoe and Napa Valley

Coastal Redwoods are in Armstrong Park in Sonoma County or in Muir Woods National Park closer to San Francisco. Perhaps you can do that from Napa or when you are getting back to San Francisco or SF.

Wineries in Napa Valley ? It all depends on what you like to drink and which wineries you want to visit. If you are looking for suggestion, have a look at the Things to do in the Napa Valley section. Perhaps a winery tour followed by wine tastings at other wineries may help.

You posted in the Napa forum which as you may know is the city of Napa within Napa Valley.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Redwoods between Tahoe and Napa Valley

Don't know where in Tahoe you plan t be but once in south lake tahoe you can head west on 50 to Meyers. Then turn left onto 89. Take that to 88 Carson Pass turn right. Take Carson Pass to 4 then head east to Calavaras Big Trees State Park:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=551

This is a 3 hour drive. It's another 3 hours from Big Trees to Napa.

A different idea is to go to Napa and take a side trip west to the coastal redwoods.

For instance Napa to Muir Woods is slightly over 1 hour.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Redwoods between Tahoe and Napa Valley

Go to Muir Woods.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Redwoods between Tahoe and Napa Valley

Your question has been asked before tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1798615-i17742-k4…

Here's some additonal info on the two species of redwoods you could see. nps.gov/history/…sec10.htm

If I had to choose between going to Yosemite or Calistoga Big Trees State Park, etc. and going to a big commerical winery in Napa Valley, I'd choose the former (and you can find some decent wineries in the Sierra foothills californiawineryadvisor.com/regions/… in a relaxed atmosphere. Lots of lovely Gold Rush towns along and near Hwy. 49.

Edited: 2:47 pm, December 13, 2012
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,835 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Redwoods between Tahoe and Napa Valley

On your way back to San Francisco from Napa, go the 14 miles to the town of Sonoma, then take Hwy 12, 18 miles, to Santa Rosa. Cross Hwy 101, staying on HW , and when you get to Sebastopol, 7 miles, take Hwy 116 to Guerneville, 14 miles.

There you will find this.

russianrivertravel.com/parks-armstrong.htm

This redwood preserve is much larger than Muir Woods and you will not find tour buses or crowds there.

Then continue 12 miles west on Hwy 116, cross the Russian River and in 10 miles you will be in Bodega Bay. From there, go to Petaluma, 26 miles, and hook up with Highway 101, less than an hour from San Francisco.

Level Contributor
9 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Redwoods between Tahoe and Napa Valley

I recommend The Russian River area too. You can see sequoias and wine taste without the crowds of Napa and Muir Woods. Calaveras Big Trees and the many fine wineries of Calaveras County are a great choice too (I'm a native of this area) but you will not be able to use highway 4 -- it is never open until Memorial Day weekend.

7. Re: Redwoods between Tahoe and Napa Valley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, January 07, 2014