We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in Napa/clothing

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
453 posts
251 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in Napa/clothing

Hello! We are heading to SF on Saturday and are doing a day trip to Napa through a wine tour company next Tues. From hanging out on the SF board, I know it's quite chilly there this time of year and planned to bring sweaters, jackets, long pants, etc.

I checked the weather for Napa next week and it's in the upper 80s! Is it typically really hot? I'm from the midwest and it is so humid, that it's unpleasant. Around here I wouldn't be comfortable in long pants and short sleeves in that weather, but it might be more pleasant in Napa. I need to wear an outfit in layers since SF will be cold in the morning when we leave and in the evening when we return. In your opinion, would we be OK with boots, long jeans and a short sleeve shirt while in Napa with a sweater/jacket that we could put on if needed?

Edited: 12:57 am, July 17, 2012
Napa Valley Wine Trolley
Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Dynamic Napa Wine Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Winery Tours Napa Valley
Wineries & Vineyards, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Allure Limo Napa Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Wine Tours & Tastings , Private Tours
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
28,924 posts
6,060 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in Napa/clothing

The Bay Area/Napa is known for its microclimates. You can drive between place and have a 40 degree swing in temperatures on the same day.

While San Francisco can be cold, Napa is usually warm during the summer.

In terms of clothes for Napa, jeans and a short sleeve shirt works. If you are most comfortable in boots that works - if not any shoe works (note: I generally find boots warm and on a hot day tend to not wear). If you are ok with it, go with it. If not wear other more comfortable shoes....

You won't need that sweater or jacket....just leave in San Francisco. I figure the tour bus will be climate controlled or bring it knowing you won't need it in wine country.

Be sure to drink lots of water on your wine country trip - wine dries you out and will make you more tired and warm; drinking lots of water will help a lot.

have a good trip.

Edited: 1:25 am, July 17, 2012
Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,748 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in Napa/clothing

Today's high in Napa was 68. Let's hope it's back in the 80s next week. My tomatoes are suffering.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
28,924 posts
6,060 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in Napa/clothing

Hope those tomoatos don't stop growing.....

Weather underground has the weather going back up to 93 by Saturday in Napa.

Hot Springs, AR
Level Contributor
176 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in Napa/clothing

RunnerJess - We (2 couples) will be in SF next month and also want to do a day tour of the Napa. Do you mind telling me what tour company you are using?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,586 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in Napa/clothing

There will not be humidity in Napa, so even if it gets as high as into the 80's you won't feel it as you do at home.

Dallas
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in Napa/clothing

I was in SF/Napa the week of July 4. The highs in Napa were in the low to mid-80's and to me, it felt great. The one night we were there was cool though--I think it was 57 and I wore a sweater over a long sundress to dinner.

The day we drove from SF, I wore capris with a light tank/sweater set with a hoodie over it, then just left my hoodie in the car once in Napa.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in Napa/clothing

It was hellaciously hot over the weekend with a high in the mid nineties in Napa on Saturday. Hope the OP was prepared with some cool clothes.

8. Re: Weather in Napa/clothing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, August 16, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Napa