We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for quaint and delicious

Which Napa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
25 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for quaint and delicious

We will be in Napa on Saturday. Looking for Chards, Cabs and Zins primarily, dry Rieslings too.

Any suggestions for smaller wineries that are charming, old-school, not overblown Disney-esque showplaces. Looking for quaint with great wine! Hopefully not on the main route, which I suppose is very crowded.

Thank you!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,276 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for quaint and delicious

Look to the wineries on Spring Mountain. Most, if not all, are small production operations. I'm not sure if they make Zins or Rieslings though, and the chards may come from other areas of Napa Valley and not from Spring Mountain itself. Pride is one of the largest but I found it to be pretty quiet and laid back. I think we scheduled their $75 pp Summit Experience, and it was waived after my friend, his wife and I purchased a case between us. I see that there are less expensive tastings. I know its by-appointment only which minimizes crowds and if you go mid-week, it may even be less crowded.

Barnett Vineyards is much smaller, and they have a couple of tables where you can picnic and enjoy their wines and view. $40 tasting fee pp but was waived when we purchased a couple of bottles.

St. Helena...
Destination Expert
for Napa Valley
Level Contributor
1,467 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for quaint and delicious

Double ditto the Spring Mtn suggestion. Look at Sherwin for reds, too. Keenan produces all 3 of your favorites - cab, chard and zin. Plenty of chard producers up there as well, e.g. Smith-Madrone, Schweiger, etc. In Calistoga, try to get in to Canard. Also, Bennett Lane is fun and offers wonderful cabs. Look to Howell Mtn wineries and growers for zin. Every venue up there is quaint. Down toward Napa, Baldacci is a very chill, small producer of wonderful reds.

Very rustic: Tres Sabores - an estate winery & a working farm on the Rutherford bench with fabulous zins, and Rustridge Ranch in Chiles Valley, another wonderful zin.

Sorry ... just too many to choose from!

Napa, California
Level Contributor
217 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for quaint and delicious

For Zins try Biale Vineyards on Big Ranch Road close to the Town of Napa. It's a surprise being that close to town but you won't feel like it when you are there. The wines are great.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,993 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for quaint and delicious

Stony Hill near St. Helena does not produce red wines, but they are renowned for long-lived chardonnays (since the early 1950's, considered among California's best!). They also produce a small amount of dry, Alsatian-style riesling that is phenomenal, and an even smaller amount of gewurztraminer. The McCrea family that owns Stony Hill are true California wine pioneers, but among the least-known. Appointment only.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,318 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for quaint and delicious

Times change and Stony Hill does now produce a red:

http://www.stonyhillvineyard.com/wines

Houston
Level Contributor
2 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for quaint and delicious

I recommend Newton Winery - 2555 Madrona Ave, Saint Helena, CA 94574. Not only are their wines excellent but the tour and vineyard are beautiful beyond words. Make a reservation, I think we paid about $40 and it was one of my favorite visits during the 2 weeks were in Nap Valley area.

Level Contributor
34,739 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for quaint and delicious

Freemark Abbey in St. Helena! :)

Rocklin, California
Level Contributor
647 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for quaint and delicious

Loved Freemark Abbey! So wish there were :"like" buttons on TA forums!

9. Re: Looking for quaint and delicious

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11:35 am, July 17, 2012
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for quaint and delicious

Bennett Lane has yummy Cabs and blends. Nice quaint boutique winery. Not pretentious and affordable tadting. Nice small patio area.