We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Napa in one day which wineries to visit

Katy, Texas
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Napa in one day which wineries to visit

After reading tons of reviews I have narrowed down the top choices from what I have read of Napa wineries:

1. Domain Chandon

2. Robert Mandovi – book tour

3. Beringer

4. Sterling

5. V. Satuii

Does this seem doable in one day or shoud we not visit some of these. This is our first trip to Napa and we are not wine experts. Also, should we get someone to drive us or are we okay driving our own rent car? We will be spending the night at River Terrace Inn and have reservations at Auberge du Soleil for dinner.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
24,564 posts
5,484 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Napa in one day which wineries to visit

May be one winery too many - if you are planning to do a picnic at V. Satui for lunch then keep it. If not, you might want to put that one last on your list as it gets really crowded....

I would do the Mondavi Tour first thing in the day if possible.....

Finish with Sterling for the views....

It depends on using your car or hiring a driver - we usually do shared tastings (i.e. share one glass and taste a few wines at each winery) and then drink lots of water, so we usually drive ourselves - and do other activities as well during the day.

If you #1 motive is to drink as much as you want - then hire a driver. its safer.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Napa in one day which wineries to visit

If you do Domain Chandon early and then take the tour at Mondavi you could stop at v sattui for a later lunch then do Beringer & Sterling in the afternoon.

1. Domain Chandon

2. Robert Mandovi – book tour

3. V. Satuii

4. Beringer

5. Sterling

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
516 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Napa in one day which wineries to visit

I spent one day in Napa several years ago and we arrived at 10am when most of them opened. We did Beringer first then Sterling. Had lunch at V. Satuii and then went to Mondavi and Coppola. We had plenty of time to do 5.

Katy, Texas
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Napa in one day which wineries to visit

Thanks for the advice! Two questions:Did I do ok selecting the wineries or do you recommend changing one winery for a different smaller one? Also, we will be coming from San Francisco that morning. How long will it take us to get to Mandovi if we do that first and want to gt there by 10am? Trying to figure out what time we will need to leave.

Thanks! We will be going this coming Saturday.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Napa in one day which wineries to visit

Doing Mondavi first is a great idea. Make sure you do the longer tour. Then I would stop at Inglenook Estate in Rutherford to see one of the older, classic wineries:

www.inglenook.com/

Before Mondavi, stop at the Oakville Grocery and pick up sandwiches or picnic items and then head up to Rutherford Hill after Inglenook. Rutherford Hill has great views that are very similar to those at Auberge since they are neighbors.

After lunch, head up to Sterling for the views. Maybe stop at Frank Family as well and then drive back to Napa on the Silverado Trail. You should still have enough time to stop at Mumm for a tasting of their sparkling wine on their view patio.

If you are staying at the River Terrace, I would suggest you dine next door at La Toque or downtown at Angele' rather than drive a half hour back up to Rutherford for dinner. The CHP has lately been putting up DUI checkpoints on Napa highways on Saturday nights.

Delray Beach, FL
Level Contributor
78 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Napa in one day which wineries to visit

That may be 1 too many wineries, but as long as you keep in mind that you may need to skip 1 depending on how the other visits/tours go, you'll be fine. Every visit my husband and I have taken there, I get ambitious with how many wineries we visit, but end up having a blast since we keep our schedule flexible and detour when necessary. Having said that, your list looks great. I would suggest skipping V. Sattui if need be. Frank Family was suggested, but I prefer the other options you listed considering it is your first visit. However, their wines are better than most of your options so go if you want great wines, but skip if the whole experience has more weight. Renting a car isn't necessary unless you plan on drinking ALOT which you wouldn't want to do anyway if you want a great experience. Save the drinking for Auberge and take a taxi if you'd like.

Victoria, British...
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Napa in one day which wineries to visit

Those are all big wineries. If it was me...I'd do Chandon/Mondavi in the morning and visit smaller wineries in the afternoon. That would give you a nice mix and a better flavor of the Napa Valley.

I'm not saying you won't enjoy your choices but I find some of my best visits were to smaller wineries.

8. Re: Napa in one day which wineries to visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:47 am, June 28, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Napa