We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SFO to Napa

Which Napa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NC
Level Contributor
55 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
SFO to Napa

We're flying into SFO and driving to Napa for our first night's stay. We arrive at SFO about 11 AM, so it will be close to lunch time. Any recommendations for lunch along the way to Napa? We plan to take 101 to 37 to 121 etc.

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SFO to Napa

Unless you want to eat in South San Francisco (great Dim Sum), we'd suggest just getting over here.

Oh, one other option: Foodies sometimes make a pilgrimage to Alice Water's Chez Panisse in Berkeley (you'd need to take the Bay Bridge and 80 to do this). Only the cafe is open for lunch (the main dining room is dinner only, first seating at 6 pm)

Since you're taking the Golden Gate bridge route, you could always stop in Sausalito, or in the Carneros (either Fremont Diner or Boon Fly Cafe).

But we'd have to say--- just getting to Napa town, parking the car, and walking to the Oxbow Marketplace, is the way to go. Some days it seems like at least half of our guests do this!

There are wine tasting rooms around the Oxbow, so you can walk around downtown Napa, do some nibbling, wine tasting, then head back to your inn for their afternoon reception (where you'll get all kinds of cool wine country info), then just stroll into town for dinner.

A perfect day! :)

Cheers,

-The Innkeepers

Napa Old World Inn

Edited: 7:30 pm, July 22, 2011
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,749 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SFO to Napa

I would like to suggest that from the airport you change your route a little.

Hwy 101 from the airport is often traffic clogged and then you need to go through the city on Van Ness Avenue and then Lombard Street, which area is currently undergoing a huge road construction project.

From the airport go north a little ways and take Hwy 380 up to Hwy 280. As you get into the city be in the left lanes and follow the signs to the Golden Gate Bridge. You will still be crossing the city on city streets, but 19th Avenue and Park Presidio are four lanes divided with timed traffic lights. You will drive through Golden Gate Park between the two.

After the bridge you follow your 101, 37, 121 route. If you are hungry by the time you get your car and cross the bridge, take the exit to pretty little Sausalito and get a restaurant with a view of San Francisco.

If not, take NOWI's suggestion of restaurants in the Carneros region.

Or, if you decide to go all the way into Napa, it will take you about an hour and a half of driving, after you leave the airport.

Have a good trip.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,076 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SFO to Napa

There are literally hundreds of restaurants between SFO to Napa, spanning all price ranges. So what's your preferred price range and cuisine choice, if any? I concur with using 280 instead of 101 north.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,315 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SFO to Napa

Before you get to Sausalito, stop at Cavalo Point at the north end of the Golden Gate Bridge in the Golden Gate National Recreation Area.

http://www.cavallopoint.com/dine.html

Grab a burger at Farley Bar or dine at the fancier Michelin star restaurant, Murray Circle. The views from here are tremendous.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SFO to Napa

I agree with the suggestion of Cavallo Point.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SFO to Napa

Perhaps it is just me but if I have been on a 5+ hour flight with airplane food and it is close to Noon by the time I have my bags and car, (and it is about 3pm in my original timezone ) I would get a snack at the airport.

Depending on which terminal you land, there are some relatively decent places (prices inflated at the Airport of course) to grab a quick snack to eat from Mexican to Chinese or even the sandwich places and then head on the route recommended by Puter. If I am still hungry I would do the Cavallo point bar or just drive in to Napa for a late lunch as recommended by the earlier posters.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,076 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SFO to Napa

I would be negative on airport food, which is only slightly better than airline food, and very expensive. I would go to Millbrae from the airport. Have lunch at downtown Millbrae. Then go west and catch the 280 up to the Golden Gate Bridge.

8. Re: SFO to Napa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, October 09, 2012