We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging Reccomendations and overall Napa advice

Which Napa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
cleveland
2 posts
Save Topic
Lodging Reccomendations and overall Napa advice

Any expert advice about where to stay. I am suprising my wife for our 10 yr anniversary and have tentaively made reservations at Villagio Inn. We both love Italy and I thought the Tuscan theme would be great. However, we also really love quiet intimate places and so I am worried a resort that large would not give us that feel. Also, any suggestions regarding wineries or tastings that are a must? We will be staying 4/7-4/11. Thanks in advance.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
379 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging Reccomendations and overall Napa advice

I wrote a guide to wine country and SF for my wedding guests. Happy to forward it to you...send an email to paulfriedland@hotmail.com.

Can't help you with the Villagio...sorry.

anaheim, ca
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging Reccomendations and overall Napa advice

On my honeymoon (and anniversary) we go to the Old World Bed and Breakfast in Napa. We stay in the Mint Room. The rooms are quaint, the hostess are attentive, and my husband loves the fact they have snacks, sherry and chocolate when you return from your "adventure" not to mention a great breakfast! Avg price is $130-150 a night

When we go, we drive up the lane where all the wineries are. There's the Culinary arts place which I hear you must go and make reservations. However, Napa has grown in the 10+ years we've been going, and more and more "world famous" chefs are making new homes there. The Patina group has sprouted restaurants there and you can't go wrong with them! Check out patina group for a description of their resturants.

We also take a drive up to Calestoga for a massage. They have couple's massage (you're in the same room together) and they have couple's shower rooms. Its very "earthy" to get a mud bath too! We go to the Lincoln Spa (The name Lincoln is in the spa name, but its a spa and hotel) and they are reasonable for their services.

Hope that helps!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,454 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging Reccomendations and overall Napa advice

I heard such wonderful things about the Adagio Inn, it's only 3 rooms and looks beautiful. I'm booked there this July. I haven't been yet, but look at their website and see if it sounds good to you! Also read the reviews on this site - not a single negative one.

Washington State
Level Contributor
230 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging Reccomendations and overall Napa advice

Our must do's when we are in Napa for wine are:

Raymond - Excellent wine at all price levels.

Schramsberg - Sparkling Wine. Excellent Tour. Second oldest vineyard in Napa. Reservation only.

Beaulieu is a good winery to get bang for your buck. Lots of wines to try - some you'll like, some you won't.

Beringer is possibly the best tour going. The regular tasting is hit or miss, but the reserve tasting is excellent (or it was last time I was there)

If you are there on a day that Cain is open, go.

We skip Clos Pegase, Cakebread, Opus One, Duckhorn, Mondavi, and Coppola either because the tastings are overpriced for what you get or because we've had numerous poor tastings there in the past.

Do a google search for Napa Valley's website to narrow it down even more and possibly get free tasting coupons. Have a great trip and congratulations on 10 years together!!!

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging Reccomendations and overall Napa advice

jaudino-

Villagio is beautiful, and does indeed feel very European, especially at night as you stroll along the courtyard and see the light from the reflecting pools play against the buildings. We often stroll along these pools after a meal at Bistro Jeanty (one of our favorite dinner spots, just across the street from Villagio).

Vilagio does feel a bit "big" because it is. It all depends on what you are looking for. Napa has a LOT of small Inns, some with European themes.

Where you stay can have such a large impact on your overall trip. Each place has its own personality. We'd suggest calling a few spots and talking to the Innkeepers-- ask them about wineries, tastings, special tours, and restaurants. See what they say-- chances are really good that one of the places you call will have a better "fit" to what you're looking for. Websites only tell part of the story-- a few calls will tell you which inns will be the most helpful. Many Napa Innkeepers are happy to call ahead and book reservations for you, and will recommend their favorite "hidden" spots.

April 7-11 can be rainy, so be sure to bring along an umbrella or suitable outerwear (coming back to a cozy room with a fire is nice, too! ).

Wherever you decide to stay, be sure to not "overplan" your trip. Some of the most memorable things happen when you are here, and meet the locals. But you need to have some free time to take advantage of what they might do for you!

Enjoy your stay in this magical place.

-Russ & Sharon

Innkeepers

Napa Old World Inn

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodging Reccomendations and overall Napa advice

Anaheimsportsfan:

We are so happy that you spent your honeymoon and anniversaries with us! Alas, the Mint room is no longer. In it's place is a room called "Allegria" (Spanish for "happiness"). Colors are somewhat similar: Ralph Lauren suede paint in a relaxing sage green and soft creme. A king featherbed, Jacuzzi spa tub and 80" hi-def home theater system have been added, as well as a beautiful cherry hardwood floor. Rates are now a bit higher, given the upgrades. But the friendliness, yummy breakfasts, and other goodies remain. :)

TripAdvisor staff: As a rule, we never comment on our property in these posts. If the above is inappropriate, please feel free to remove it, with our apologies.

-Russ & Sharon

Innkeepers

Napa Old World Inn