We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions on Spa's & restaraunts

Cullman, Alabama
Level Contributor
620 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions on Spa's & restaraunts

First, my compliments to all of you who post here. Your information proves valuable for trips we take.

Having selected wineries we will be visiting in Jan, we are now concentrating on finding outstanding restaraunts, bed & breakfast and spas.

I would appreciate reading comments about mid priced (under $125) bed & breakfasts which are considered "do not miss" as well as finding those special restaraunts. We do not wish to do high end but rather ones will great food and reasonable prices.

As for the spa's, which mud bath and massage would you do again?

Appreciate the input and keep up the excellent reviews as we find them helpful.

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions on Spa's & restaraunts

N2Fun-

For restaurants, there are truly, so many, that it's hard to give just one or two recommendations. However, after a long grueling ;) day of winetasting, finding a restaurant you can walk to is often a delight. Each town (Napa, St. Helena, Yountville, and Calistoga) has its own great places-- so where you stay will somewhat dictate what we would recommend. Our recommendations would also depend on what kind of food/experience you are going for-- subtle flavors, quiet atmosphere, locals hangouts, trendy spots-- we typically try to "fit" our restaurant recommendations to each individual guest.

You may be surprised at the prices of the B&Bs in Napa (or any lodging, for that matter). Low end Napa B&Bs will go for $120 a night (tax incl) during the slow January season. These same B&Bs will be getting $180-200/night (tax incl) during the peak season. Mid-level B&Bs have rooms starting at $145/night, and the better B&Bs have rooms starting at around $155/night (all prices include tax).

I suppose I should mention that the Travelodge Motel gets $208/night for it's bare bones room in peak season. Typical hotel rooms go for $200 (off-peak) to $400+ (peak), and spa/resort lodgings vary from $350-1600/night (off peak) to $600-3000+/night (peak)-- these prices include tax.

Some folks are a bit shocked when they see how much higher Napa lodging prices compared to the rest of the country. Perhaps it's due to the high cost of land here-- a small 2 BR cottage on a postage stamp lot goes for $600K+, and farm land goes for over $200K per acre. Pricey stuff!

Spas are so personal-- you might want to look at Golden Haven for couples mud baths (please don't be put off by their budget motel entrance, the spa is nice). And we would suggest Lavender Hill Spa for some truly relaxing treatments-- considered by many to be the best small spa in the Valley.

We truly appreciate all of the great input on this forum, as it has helped us be better innkeepers, and take care of our guests.

We hope you have a wonderful time in Napa. It truly is a very special place.

-Russ & Sharon

Innkeepers

Napa Old World Inn

Napa,Ca.
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions on Spa's & restaraunts

I am a concierge in Napa....

I highly suggest going to Lavender Hill Spa for any type of treatment. I have worked at a couple of spas in that area, Lavender being one of them, and by far they are the best. For restaurants in Calistoga I would highly suggest Wappo's Bar and Bistro or Stomp. In St. Helena Market is great or the Martini House. In Napa there is Celadon (a local favorive)or Belle Arti.

For B & B's try La Residance or Chateau De Vie.

Hope I could help

~a Local~