We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back from Napa

Kentucky
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Back from Napa

We just spent 2 days in wine country. One in Sonoma (see post on Sonoma forum) 1 in Napa. We started the day with a mud bath at Golden Haven, it was kind of gross & scary yet relaxing, my boyfriend really enjoyed this. After the mud we had a tour of Schramsburg champagne caves. I usually get bored on so called "tours" however this was so informative and entertaining I lost all sense of time. Our guide was fabulous (wish I could remember her name to give her kudos). The champagne (3 diff. glasses) was the best I've ever tasted (this is the champagne served at the White House) and the winery was very charming. I highly recommend this. Next, we headed to Sterling and rode the tram up to the top. Great ride, great views this was really fun. I didn't think their wines were so great and found our pourer to be a little impersonal but the tram ride was well worth it. We then had reservations on the deck at Auberge du Soleil. We ordered cheeseburgers since we were on somewhat of a budget. The view was gorgeous, the cheeseburgers were OK. I would skip this if we go back. Next stop Casa Nuestra...kind of a Hippy little place. They have 2 goats that are hilarious. The wines were ok...I'd skip next time or maybe just stop & play witht the goats. On to Darioush...beautiful place. We didn't do a tasting but took lots of pictures...check out the bathrooms..incredible.

The day before we hit Domaine Carneros..no tasting but this was the prettiest winery we visited, next time I'll do champagne on the balcony. The last winery we visited was Artesa. This was the winery I was really looking forward to because the photos on their website were so impressive. The architecture was gorgeous as were the views however....the pourers were total snobs. My pourer (ANNA) only paid attention to the labels (anyone with LV, Gucci,ie) the tasting was $30 and I didn't even finish mine because I was so turned off by her attitude. Sorry to rant & rave but everyone we met in both valleys were so nice and real with the exception of Artesa. After all this wine we were tired and hungry and wanted to get back to the hotel's jacuzzi so we stopped in Napa at a deli called Genova deli. I don't know if we were just hungry but their specialty salami sandwich was fabulous. The End

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back from Napa

Robin-

Woo hoo- another trip report!

It sounds like you had a pretty good time.

We send lots of guests to Artessa, and I've *never* heard of any of them being treated poorly. The wine country is such a casual place that what you wear is SO not important here-- I'm truly sorry you had a bad experience here.

You mention staying at a hotel with a jacuzzi, so tasting passes are a service I'm sure they had-- did you ask? Many of the local inns offer VIP tasting passes (for free)-- we won't hand a stack of them out to everyone, but we will plan a trip for you, and give you the relevant passes. Artessa is just one of the places that gives us comp'd VIP tastings.

-Russ Herschelmann

Innkeeper

Napa Old World Inn