We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Tripadvisor
Napa

November in Napa Valley

dfc
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
34 posts
November in Napa Valley
Save

Hi,

My wife and I will be staying in Napa during the second week of November. Are the wineries and restaurants less busy than they are in Septemeber/October??? Also, what is the weather like around the second week of November?? Do you think we will be in the Valley during the Fall color change??

Many thanks!!

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,934 posts
97 reviews
225 helpful votes
1. Re: November in Napa Valley
Save

Yes--mid-Nov. is less crowded in Napa Valley than Sept. and Oct., and it's really a more relaxed time that we locals look forward to. If you can, come during weekdays instead of the weekend and that'll be even more peaceful. Due to less people in the tasting rooms, you'll get special attention and time to just chat with the staff. It's still a very good practice to make dinner reservations in advance since many of the best restaurants can still be quite busy during "off season". Hard to predict the height of Fall colors, but I think you'll not be disappointed by the scenery as it's normally a great time to be here. As for weather the first half of Nov., there could be some rain (altho' usually not big storms) and temp's during the day are in the 50's and 60's--but can bump up into the 70's (or warmer) too. Nites can get chilly, so you'll probably want to dress in layers. The best bet is to check local temps right before you leave to see what's predicted for the days you'll be here.

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,934 posts
97 reviews
225 helpful votes
2. Re: November in Napa Valley
Save

Forgot to mention a good Web pg. where you can see the different special events that'll be taking place in the Napa Valley during Nov: …winecountry.com/special_interest/…nov.html. Have a great time!

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
9 helpful votes
3. Re: November in Napa Valley
Save

Awesome post by the Forestvillian (as always! :)

Speaking as a displaced midwesterner (I grew up in Michigan), when I moved to CA I really missed the fall colors.

Northern CA doesn't really get fall color-- since it rains here instead of snow, everything turns *green* in the wintertime!

Grape vines *do* lose their leaves each year, though-- and if you are lucky, Napa may have a few cold nights before it gets windy. If we get the cold, the Valley has spectacular fall colors. More often than not, though, we just get a few days of really intense wind, and the vines lose their leaves to the gusts.

Weather in November is typically in the 50s during the day (sometimes it's sunny and in the 60s), and it goes down to the 40s at night. When it rains, it's warmer at night (50s). Either way, it's nice: Colder weather has spectacular clear skies, and rainy weather offers warmer temps.

Have a wonderful time-- November, December, and January are the times when we get a lot of return visitors to the Valley-- they know this is the best time of year to visit for low room rates, lots of restaurant choices, and great experiences at the winery tasting rooms (where the long lines of Sept/Oct are gone!).

Enjoy your stay in this magical place.

-Russ Herschelmann

Innkeeper

Napa Old World Inn

dfc
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
34 posts
4. Re: November in Napa Valley
Save

Thanks so much Forestvillian and Russ, it helps so much to get the opions of locals. We will be visiting Nov. 6 -12 during the midweek since my wife is not crazy about the crowds. This will be our first vacations away without the kids (6 and 10) in almost 6 years. We really can't wait. Thanks a bunch for the info!!

New Orleans
2 posts
5. Re: November in Napa Valley
Save

We will be spending thanksgiving in Napa Valley this year. We will be at the Mount View Inn in ...anybody have any recommendations for dinner thanksgiving night? We arrive in Sacremento at noon and then drive to Calistoga. We leave on Sunday...so any points on what not to miss will be really appreciated. It is our first visit to the valley and we are really looking forward to it.

Bob and Patty

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,934 posts
97 reviews
225 helpful votes
6. Re: November in Napa Valley
Save

The latter part of Nov. is usually somewhat late for prime vineyard color, altho' I believe this yr. there will still be quite a bit left for you to enjoy. The seasons this yr. have been delayed due to the cool Spring and grape harvest is generally a couple of wks later than usual. I actually looked back at the photos I took of the vineyards in mid-Nov. last yr. and many were still full of reds and golds and just beautiful. It can vary a lot from yr. to yr. Nov, is a great time to visit since it's quieter after Harvest. You should still make reserv's for dinners out, but you'll not have the "competition" for seating as you might during the peak times of Summer and early Fall. Re: Thanksgiving dinner, many of the smaller restaurants that are family-run do choose to close. However, I've definitely noticed a trend for more and more restaurants to be open all day on Thanksgiving. Eating out has become increasingly popular for that holiday. I think you'll first want to determine if you'd like to have dinner right in Calistoga or if you're open to driving as much as half an hour down the valley and then you'd have a greater choice of places in St. Helena, Rutherford, Yountville and Napa. Mount View has a good restaurant ("Stomp") altho' I haven't eaten there in awhile. Wappo Bar and Bistro on Washington is one of those great casual little places that serves good food, but service can be a bit off when they get busy. Brannan's Grill on Lincoln (the main st.) offers very good upscale "Calif. cuisine" and I would think they are likely to be open for Thanksgiving--but you'll need to check on each restaurant. I know the staff at Mount View will be happy to assist you and provide recommendations for dining out. In all probability, they'll have an informal list of places they know will be open on Thanksgiving. You can also do a restaurant search on the TripAdvisor Forum for favorites in the above mentioned towns.

New Orleans
2 posts
7. Re: November in Napa Valley
Save

We are staying at the Mount View Inn in Calistoga, and have reservations for dinner thanksgiving nite at the Calistsoga Inn...anyone have any recommendations? we are coming from New Orleans and only have til Sunday.. any recommendations on what "not to miss" and what to pass on?

8. Re: November in Napa Valley

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, August 17, 2009