We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Muir Woods/Napa in one day? Directions?

Which Napa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edison, New Jersey
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Muir Woods/Napa in one day? Directions?

We are planning on leaving San Francisco at about 7am on Tuesday and head to Muir Woods for about 1 - 1 1/2 hours. Then head to Napa Valley where we'll hit Sterling as our first stop and work our way down. We have planned 4 more wineries for the day aside from Sterling. Is this possible?

What's the most efficient route to take?

We also considering stopping by Sausalito for dinner on the way back to San Francisco.

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Muir Woods/Napa in one day? Directions?

Wow- you have an ambitious day planned!

Muir Woods opens @ 8:00 am, and you will be going reverse commute direction, so you should make it there in less than an hour (7-8 am).

Leaving Muir Woods at 9:30, you can head N on 101, taking the Hwy 37 exit up by Novato, and cutting across on 12/121. Once you get to Napa, head N on 29, all the way up to Sterling.

It will take you about 2 hours to get there from Muir Woods, if you don't hit traffic (it takes 1 hr 19 min to get to Muir Woods from our Inn, and we're about 35 min from Sterling).

Once you get done at Sterling (prob around 1:00 or so), head south either on the Silverado Trail or Hwy 29-- both are OK in the southery direction (Hwy 29 is terrible going north, from Zinfandel Lane all the way to St. Helena).

If you want to go to Sausalito on your way back, just take 29S, then 12/121, then 37W, to 101S. If you do this *after* 7:00 pm, you will save an hour (the two lane blacktop is packed during commute hours).

Hope this helps.

-Russ Herschelmann

Innkeeper

Napa Old World Inn

PS I'd have dinner in Napa if I were you-- having lived in both Marin (for 11 years) and Napa (for 10 years), the restaurants in Napa are not only more varied, but the food and service are, on the whole, world class. Sausalito has a view. Depends on what you want!

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,217 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Muir Woods/Napa in one day? Directions?

I agree with Russ abut having dinner in Napa, especially if you are driving. That would get some food in your stomach and some time for the alcohol to settle before you hit the road.

Sterling is a wonderful winery to visit, but I wonder if you might reconsider some of the wineries in the Southern part of Napa, or even Sonoma. With only one day you will have a lot of driving and there are, I believe, about 400 wineries in Napa and Sonoma so there is no need to go as far north as Sterling to have a gerat wine country experience.

Edison, New Jersey
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Muir Woods/Napa in one day? Directions?

Thank you for the helpful information.

I'm wondering if we should skip Sterling and just visit the other wineries we had planned.

We were also planning on visiting: Beringer, V. Sattui, Domaine Chandon, Frog's Leap and Coppola (just the tour, not the taste).

Should skip any of the ones mentioned and visit others that are closer in commute?

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Muir Woods/Napa in one day? Directions?

esqsue-

I'm with przyk. Consider skipping Sterling, and enjoy the more southerly Napa (or Sonoma) wineries. There are over 100 of them!

If you truly love the outdoors, don't miss Muir Woods. It's pretty special.

If, on the other hand, you're not much of an outdoorsy person, then by all means head straight to the wine country (tree hugging isn't for everyone, but I kinda like it ;).

-Russ Herschelmann

Innkeeper

Napa Old World Inn

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,217 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Muir Woods/Napa in one day? Directions?

How about a little flexibility? If you spend a little more time in Muir Woods, or if the drive takes longer than planned and you are hungry for lunch by the time you hit wine country consider stopping at Viansa. It is one of the first wineries you will hit in sonoma County. They have a nice deli and you can sit out on the picnic tables and eat lunch.

If it is too early for lunch keep going and by the time you reach V. Sattui you should be ready for lunch. I would then plan wineries south of Sattui. You will still have plenty of options including Domain Chandon, which I love.